 Off-Topic / Debate / 1429
Re: Natural born killers? (was Re: Free speech and abuse thereof
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 18:17:08 GMT

Two points in reverse order of your append.

First, I'm not asserting I already proved my assertion that people are
good, I'm just saying that if I do provide a proof, it will be rejected
as either self delusion, or something for which no proof is possible.
John, you've already said so yourself.

Second, and this is not a proof, merely an observation, most people
apparently seem to be law abiding, at least in this country. Are you
saying that they do so even though they're evil at the core? How sad
that you have such a low opinion of the rest of us that you think we
hide our true natures behind masks of goodness.

I prefer to think the other way, that the many examples of goodness I
see are genuine, and there are only a few bad apples in the barrel. Even
many people that I dismiss as morally incorrect are doing so because
they believe there is no other way to ameliorate suffering, and they
just haven't taken the time to think things through.

A proof, if I decide to attempt one, will be based on a natural rights
analysis. But if you've already made up your mind that this is not
subject to logic, why should I bother? Before I spend my scarce
resources to give you a free good, the benefit of my logical analysis,
justify it. Or spend yours to prove the negative, that people are
inherently evil.

lugnet.