 Off-Topic / Debate / 1396
Re: Free speech and abuse thereof
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 16:33:50 GMT

Frank,

Very easy. Enforce the 20,000 or so gun control laws on the books, and crack
down on people that buy/sell guns illegally. Penalizing law abiding citizens
that use / buy / sell guns does nothing.

As for the Libertarian thing, I do not know of a link. I don't think any party
condones killing outside of unborn babies and old people.  (Sorry, that slipped
out!)

How can the Libertarian Party be in any way responsible for this? The
individual is responsible, not an organization. It is just like suing tobacco
manufacturers / gun manufacturers for damages because individuals decided and
bought the products. It would be no different than suing Lego because someone
bought a SW set, and their child choked on the parts, because the child was 2
years old, even though there are warnings. It is shifting away personal
responsibility to whatever. GRR!!! This really urks me.

Scott Sanburn

Frank Filz wrote:

The current news item about the white supremacist who went on a rampage
leaves me wondering how we deal with that type of thing from a
Libertarian perspective. To me it seems that the organization has some
responsibility for what the individual did, but how do we place that
responsibility without trampling free speech rights? Or is there really
even any responsibility?

This incident is also a clear example of how gun control laws don't
always help. What could we do to try to prevent an individual like this
from getting a gun? Or should we do anything?

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com