 Off-Topic / Debate / 1427
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 16:19:59 GMT

<3784B28D.82177A5A@voyager.net> <FEK6nL.DDI@lugnet.com>

Missed these.

Ed Jones wrote:

To be clear: Governments, since they have monopolies on the use of
force, must not discriminate. Individuals, in their private dealings
with other individuals, may choose to do or not do business as they see
fit, since those other individuals have the right to choose to do
business with those who do not discriminate.

I am speaking of businesses - whether huge corporations or an individual who
owns and operates his/her own business.

When I speak of the ability to discriminate, so am I.

From what I am reading above, it is
not OK for corporations to discriminate

I don't believe I said that. I said it was not OK for governments to
discriminate. I said nothing about corporations, regardless of size.
They are not governments.

but it is permissable for a small
individual business owner to discriminate.

Yes.

For instance, a person owns a 2 family house.  They live in one unit and rent
the other unit.  Can that person practice discrimination when renting the
rental unit?

Yes, I believe they should be able to choose who they rent to using any
criteria they choose.

Me, I'd tend to discriminate against opera lovers. They tend to play
their opera at all hours of the night, loudly, and the noise, coming
through the common walls of my house, would disturb my beauty sleep. Not
that I need any. Oh, and boxers. Those heavy punching bags tend to play
havoc with the rafters and cause damage that doesn't reveal itself until
several years later when it's too late to collect.

Do you feel differently? Why? Morally justify why I should not be able
to discriminate against opera lovers in deciding how to dispose of my
property as I see fit,  please.

lugnet.