 Off-Topic / Debate / 1413
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 03:01:16 GMT

Ed Jones wrote:
[snip]

With you there on segregation. No government has the right to
discriminate against its citizens. However most of the rest of the
public school changes are for the worse. The NEA leadership are a bunch
of slackers, and in some cases Marxists.In 50 years we've went from the
biggest school problem being gum chewing, to the biggest school problem
being assault with a deadly weapon. Bazillions of factors contribute to
that one, but please prove to me that values free education, moral
relativism, mainstreaming, and social promotion aren't contributing
factors. Thank the NEA for all those "innovations" which came about
thanks to your precious revolution.

As a former teacher, two of the biggest problems with today's schools are:

1. lack of funding - classrooms are overcrowded, teacher salaries over the last
30 years have actually decreased (differnce of 1960's salary times inflation).
Why, because people decide that they would not pas tax levys to fund their own
schools.

2. Lack of parental guidance.  Few parents take an active involvement in the
children's schooling.  Too many view it as a day time baby sitter.  The same
schools that produce undereducated children produce well educated children.
Explain the difference - parental involvement.

Even worse is the attitude that came about in the 80's - this was actually
stated to me by a student - "my parents pay taxes to pay your salary - I don't
have to do a thing you tell me".  If this is the amount of respect instilled by
parents, we are in very deep trouble down the road.

Pretty clear on what those meant. The first sounds good but in practice
turned out to be a code phrase for something entirely different, and the
second, well, why did you have to fight? Wasn't the American Red Cross
doing their job? Perhaps the War On Poverty that the Great Society
initiated scared all the effective charities out of business?

Again read my reply to Weeks.

Saw it. You dodged. The homeless are due to Reagan? What a crock.

Look up homeless statistics.  You will find an increase in homelessness at the
same time as social services were cut by Reagan.

Construction workers are employed by construction companies.  Those • companies
have winter layoffs.  Those employees, having worked 6 months or more, are
entitled to unemployment.  It works the same for auto workers.  They get • layed
off and collect unemployment.

Not the same at all, we can build autos in the winter.

Excuse me, but the plants shut down each year to retool for the new models.
During that time the employees are layed off and collect unemployment.  Half of
my family works for GM - I speak from experience.

Society created
those that cannot obtain their own posessions.

What? Please point me to such a person. Society did no such thing.

Really, let's see, Lincoln freed the slaves.  The south segregated its schools
and refused equal rights to housing.  If it wasn't socity, then who did this?