 Off-Topic / Debate / 1440
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 02:15:26 GMT

As a former teacher, two of the biggest problems with today's schools are:

1. lack of funding - classrooms are overcrowded, teacher salaries over the last
30 years have actually decreased (differnce of 1960's salary times inflation).
Why, because people decide that they would not pas tax levys to fund their own
schools.

Or people have grown so fed-up with every new property tax increase
being touted as "necessary to turn education around" and yet year
after year, education gets worse, while we pay more taxes.

2. Lack of parental guidance.  Few parents take an active involvement in the
children's schooling.  Too many view it as a day time baby sitter.  The same
schools that produce undereducated children produce well educated children.
Explain the difference - parental involvement.

Total agreement there, which proves to me you have some sense in that
head of yours.  :)

Even worse is the attitude that came about in the 80's - this was actually
stated to me by a student - "my parents pay taxes to pay your salary - I don't
have to do a thing you tell me".  If this is the amount of respect instilled by
parents, we are in very deep trouble down the road.

Lots of people suck.  People who suck tend to produce children who
become people who suck.  People who suck usually need a good punch in
the face.

Excuse me, but the plants shut down each year to retool for the new models.
During that time the employees are layed off and collect unemployment.  Half of
my family works for GM - I speak from experience.

Well, those who haven't (with the help of their unions) priced
themselves out of a job and their labor out of this country probably
do well enough during those other months to make things last.

Really, let's see, Lincoln freed the slaves.  The south segregated its schools
and refused equal rights to housing.  If it wasn't socity, then who did this?

Lots of people who suck(ed).  How long after the people who were
affected by that are dead do the rest of us have to keep apologizing
for it?

--
The parts you want without a bunch of crap?
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)