 Off-Topic / Debate / 1441
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 02:26:40 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:
An example of the warped thinking auto workers have: My uncle (in law)
Denny is on shutdown right now. He has a planned two week outage. GM
told him to use vacation time during the shutdown, which seems
reasonable to me, and that's what everyone is doing (not collecting
unemployment, by the way, so I dunno what you're talking about, but I
digress...). Then GM came back and said they need a few people in the
plant during shutdown, went to Denny and asked him to come in, offering
him time and a half for time worked and the option of either also
collecting vacation or accruing it for later.

Denny refused. He's not doing anything except sitting around reading the
paper and complaining to everyone about how GM made him use his vacation
during shutdown. He certainly didn't have any travel or big events
planned. Still, he'd rather collect 1x his salary for doing nothing than
1.5x for working. When I asked him why, he said "there won't be that
many people in the plant, I might actually have to do some work".

Anecdotal evidence, sure, but I have lots of anecdotes like that.

Wow, that's really disgusting.

I think maybe Denny's watched Roger and Me a few too many times.

--
The parts you want without a bunch of crap?
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)