 Off-Topic / Debate / 1436
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 20:51:04 GMT

Ed Jones wrote:

As a former teacher, two of the biggest problems with today's schools are:

1. lack of funding - classrooms are overcrowded, teacher salaries over the last
30 years have actually decreased (differnce of 1960's salary times inflation).
Why, because people decide that they would not pas tax levys to fund their own
schools.

I agree that this is a problem, but your number 2 below really drives
the nail through the board.

2. Lack of parental guidance.  Few parents take an active involvement in the
children's schooling.  Too many view it as a day time baby sitter.  The same
schools that produce undereducated children produce well educated children.
Explain the difference - parental involvement.

Even worse is the attitude that came about in the 80's - this was actually
stated to me by a student - "my parents pay taxes to pay your salary - I don't
have to do a thing you tell me".  If this is the amount of respect instilled by
parents, we are in very deep trouble down the road.

It's advancing.  Here at the University of Missouri, there are faculty
councils devoted to figuring out what stance to take toward that
attitude.  A student told a professor in class when that professor
complained that said student was late to class that the prof worked for
him since he paid for tuition, and he could be late if he wanted to.
When the prof threw him out, he had the temerity to raise a stink.

I agree that parents are at fault mostly for why the schools are failing.

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks
central Missouri, USA