 Off-Topic / Debate / 1435
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 19:37:31 GMT

Hi all,

I can only assume that Thomas Main was offended by the interaction
between Ed and I, and on reflection it seems that Ed is taking it more
personally than I am or intended.  I have discussions like this in real
life and mostly people don't get angry; at worst they pity me for being • broken.

Not at all, see my response to Larry on this - you claimed to lack an
appropriate flippant response - so I provided it.

But I must say, that the original suggestion of sterilization made my skin
crawl.

Now, on with the circus...

But on to the serious responses..

I wrote:
As an example - in Lexington, KY if you go into a "good"
restraurant, expect to find white maitre'd, white waiter/waitress and black
busboys.

This is now, and has everything to do with racism.

If you check the news records of the court ordered desegregation for St.
Louis, you will find a front page picture on the St. Louis Post Dispatch
of a little blonde boy named Christopher Weeks who was the first kid in
St. Louis County to volunteer for the tin mile bussing to a mostly black
St. Louis City school.  Since that's me, I know that I begged my parents
to let me do that when I was between fourth and fifth grade.  I guess
you could say that I am somewhat familiar with segregation and the fight
to end it.

Glad to hear it.

Why is that?  My parents didn't get any student loans.  They couldn't
because there was too much competition during the baby boom and since
they were blue-collar kids they had to work instead of being in bad and
football and student government and so all scholarships and loans went
to kids who had done those other things instead.

Either did I.  The rest of my family is blue collar.  My father was a
machinist.  I have worked since I was 14.  I never had the chance to
participate in sports in high school either.  I worked my way through college
doing a 4-midnight shift 5 days a week while going to school. Yeah it took me 5
years instead of 4, but I did it.

:P

What does this emoticon mean?

:P - Its a tongue sticking out of the corner of the mouth.