 Off-Topic / Debate / 1344
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 03:21:17 GMT

John DiRienzo wrote in message ...
Frank Filz wrote in message <377A8667.334E@mindspring.com>...
Ed Jones wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
I think that in a perfect liberatopia, all three of these people would
have no problem getting the care they need, through charity.
So you are saying that these people have the right to the care that they • need.

No.

No, he did not say that.  Its funny how people who like to take other
people's property also like to take other people's words and misuse them.

Are you commenting on my words or Ed's here?

Isn't charity the giving of free goods?

Yes and no.

  Frank is catching on quick, but I do not see how the answer is yes and
no.  PLMK.

My "yes and no" was that in one sense, charity is the giving of goods
without expecting something in return (shorthand "free goods"), but it is
also a "no" because many (most?) charities don't give without expecting
_something_ in return (in fact, in the strictest sense, no charity gives
without expectation of _something_ in return, even if the only thing they
expect in return is to "feel good", and yes, happiness is also a good (so in
a sense, you really can buy happiness).

  That is one of the virtues of selfishness (thats a pun for any one who
missed it) - its more of a trait.  All of us who hold selfishness as a
virtue are seen as cold and uncaring, when that really is untrue.  I am
selfish (you have to love your self) and the higher society rises,
inevitably the higher I can.  Our current society is, in fact, much more
cold and uncaring than the libertopia these guys are wishing for.  If
society becomes a better place for the people at the top, it also becomes a
better place for those in between and at the bottom.  Just compare the
luxuries of wealth now to 100 years ago, and do the same for the
impoverished now and 100 years ago - all have escalated.  The gap may be
larger, but EVERYONE is better off now.  Of course life is what you make of
it, if you choose to make nothing of it, you will obtain your goal,
regardless of how well society manages.

By the definition of "selfish"  in my dictionary (Random House Unabridged),
I don't think Libertarians are selfish:

   selfish, adj. 1. devoted to or caring only for oneself;
   concerned primarily for one's own interests, benefits,
   welfare, etc., regardless of others.

That last "regardless of others" doesn't jibe with Libertarianism (at least
from what I am understanding). In fact, I'd use selfish more to describe the
"thieves" Larry is talking about.

Frank