 Off-Topic / Debate / 1343
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 03:07:16 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote in message ...
I was a little stunned at the opinions of some people.  I heard things
like, "well, if the government stole, as you put it, less money from
us, do you honestly believe that people would, out of the goodness of
their hearts, give more to charitable organizations?"  I think they
would.

I hate to bring up the old religion thing, but it is relevant. One of the
greatest difficulties that the average westerner has in accepting the
Libertarian idea that people are basically good, is that one of the central
tenets of (mainstream) western religion is the depravity of mankind.
Fortuanately there are several western religions whose basis is the
essential goodness of mankind.

Frank