 Off-Topic / Debate / 1315
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 20:26:50 GMT

Ed Jones <edboxer@aol.com> wrote:
I propose the following moral decisions:

Person "A" is jobless after spending 35 years at a plant that closed down
overnight.  "A" no longer has medical benefits and "A"'s skills are no longer
marketable.  "A"'s savings are gone and is on the verge of losing "A"'s house.
"A" gets hit by a bus.  Should "A" be left by the side of the road to die?

His savings are gone so soon?  What did A do for 35 years?  I have
only been actively saving for a short while now and I could last a few
months without my job, minimum.  Inside of a year I'll be able to last
a lot longer.

Why would A have so little savings?  How many tv's does A have?  How
many cars?  How many packs of cigarettes does A smoke each day?  How
many credit cards has A maxed out?

If A's been working for 35 years and been even remotely responsible
with his money he shouldn't have a thing to worry about.

If A's maxed out on his cards, still supporting a 2 pack a day habit
while watching his nice big TV, I'd say leave him by the road because
he should have planned for bad things happening.

Describe a more specific case where you demonstrate that A is worth
helping.  Saying he lost his job and his savings are gone doesn't
prove to me he "deserves" help.

"B" is 3 years old, mentally retarded and physically disabled and must be kept
in a home.  "B"'s parents pay for "B"'s medical coverage.  "B"'s parents are
suddenly killed in a car accident.  "B"'s medical coverage is gone.  Should "B"
be thrown into the street?

No.

13 year old "C" was raped on her way home from school.  Should she be denied
medical attention and rape counseling because her family is penniless and
homeless?

Why is her family penniless?  How do penniless people live?

No, a minor should not be denied coverage, but if someone else has to
pick up the tab I'd say her penniless mother and father (assuming
they're penniless because they don't have jobs) need to be put to work
to pay for the care.

Nothing is free.  If any of those, A, B, or C, get care THEY don't pay
for, someone has to pay for it.

--
The parts you want without a bunch of crap?
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)