 Off-Topic / Debate / 1310
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 18:49:00 GMT

Life is not free. People do not have a RIGHT to free goods. This is so
stunningly obvious to me that I come across as rather strident when
debating those who do not fathom this basic principle.

OK, you state "people do not have a RIGHT to free goods."  I am simplying
stating that some people, through no fault of their own, do not have the
ability to pay for those goods but, in the name of humanity, should "have a
RIGHT to free goods".

I propose the following moral decisions:

Person "A" is jobless after spending 35 years at a plant that closed down
overnight.  "A" no longer has medical benefits and "A"'s skills are no longer
marketable.  "A"'s savings are gone and is on the verge of losing "A"'s house.
"A" gets hit by a bus.  Should "A" be left by the side of the road to die?

"B" is 3 years old, mentally retarded and physically disabled and must be kept
in a home.  "B"'s parents pay for "B"'s medical coverage.  "B"'s parents are
suddenly killed in a car accident.  "B"'s medical coverage is gone.  Should "B"
be thrown into the street?

13 year old "C" was raped on her way home from school.  Should she be denied
medical attention and rape counseling because her family is penniless and
homeless?