 Off-Topic / Debate / 1391
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 03:22:11 GMT

Christopher L. Weeks <c576653@cclabs.missouri.edu> wrote:
frown on it dramatically through whatever is appropriate given the
context of the society in question. (brace yourselves)   For our
in-your-face and in-your-wallet government, I suppose sterilization, and
removing the children to families that will take care of them would be appropriate.

I agree.

I've actually thought a plan of universal reversible sterilization
would do just fine, with some form of proof of worthiness to be
un-sterilized.  The worthiness part is the tricky part - I know I'm
not qualified to make decisions like that, although I submit that
collectively we all are.

(Donning flame suit)

I'm reminded of a conversation I had with one of my student-workers -
an otherwise intelligent grad student who happens to be a struggling
single mom.  An aquaintance of hers was about to have a baby she had
conceived at a party she doesn't remember because she was too drunk to
do anything but pass out with her legs open.  She was bringing the
baby into the world, already on government programs and with little
desire to get off them, whining all the time and trying to get other
people (from day one of her pregnancy, no just in the latter period)
to carry things for her, run errands for her, etc.

My student shrilly declared that I could not judge other people, that
none of us could say we are "morally" right and other people are
"morally" wrong.

I asked her if she thought her aquaintance was a drunken slut who was
doing her best to avoid work and would probably bring up her child to
be just like herself, unwilling to accept the consequences of her own
actions while trying her best to make other people pay her way.  She
said yes, although she did think that while technically accurate I was
probably being a little harsh.

I asked her that in the sense of comparing the stories of two single
mothers didn't she think there was a noticable difference, probably to
the point of saying one person was "better" than the other, in her
story (left a deadbeat husband) and her aquaintances.  She did.

Sure, maybe there are some gray areas.  There are also lots of black
and white areas.  Some people contribute to society and to other
people, some people just plain suck.

--
The pieces you want and nothing else - easy online bidding!
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)