 Off-Topic / Debate / 1394
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 16:26:22 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

Christopher L. Weeks <c576653@cclabs.missouri.edu> wrote:
frown on it dramatically through whatever is appropriate given the
context of the society in question. (brace yourselves)   For our
in-your-face and in-your-wallet government, I suppose sterilization, and
removing the children to families that will take care of them would be appropriate.

I agree.

I've actually thought a plan of universal reversible sterilization
would do just fine, with some form of proof of worthiness to be
un-sterilized.  The worthiness part is the tricky part - I know I'm
not qualified to make decisions like that, although I submit that
collectively we all are.

For sake of clarity, I only think such a procedure should be employed
for those who demonstrate the unwillingness to care for their young.
People can disagree with me in any number of ways and still have the
RIGHT to have kids as long as they are going to care for them in a
societally acceptable manner.

I think that employment of spanking as a disciplinary measure is a
childish and mostly unfruitful punitive measure - and even minor
physical abuse - but it's not enough for me to condemn you to sterility.
Smoking crack in the car with your infant (on the first offense) is.

I also think that sterilization should be a (necessary but not
sufficient) prerequisite for almost any social benefits like food
stamps, welfare, medicaid, etc.

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks