 Off-Topic / Debate / 1388
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 19:17:10 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

I haven't been convinced that more money will always create better
education.  Public education, like everything else run by the
government, is almost by definition inefficient and wasteful.

More money spent certain ways CAN help, but it won't be spent that way.

Still, as bad as it may be, I received my entire pre-college education
from the public system, even the Southern public system, spending some
of those years being bussed to schools in neighborhoods I wouldn't
want to walk around in at night.  I'm doing fine.  Some of the people
who started school with me and had the same teachers and the same
materials I had aren't doing fine, but their problems stem more
from inadequacies at home and within themselves than with the public
education system.

Right.  Parents need to be educated too.  Public school should include
the whole family and if they refuse to participate, society ought to
frown on it dramatically through whatever is appropriate given the
context of the society in question. (brace yourselves)   For our
in-your-face and in-your-wallet government, I suppose sterilization, and
removing the children to families that will take care of them would be appropriate.

How does more money thrown at a school solve the problem of parents
who don't take part in their child's development and education?  My

It won't.  Their participation just needs to be demanded.

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks
central Missouri, USA