 Off-Topic / Debate / 1352
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 08:50:13 GMT

Richard Dee <richard.dee@virgin.net> wrote:
No one would seem willing to spend even a dollar more in tax
to assist those who don't have decent health care (1), but would
anyone be willing to spend more to ensure a better education
(2) for those less fortunate, that they may better market
themselves? Or would everyone continue to exhibit what
appears to be just a little bit of selfishness?

(1)of course, I am sure more than just a few give some form
of tax-deductible, charitable contribution that might
eventually assist in this manner :o)
(2)Better education does have the possible benefit of better,
cleaner living, resulting in healthier lifestyles, etc.

I haven't been convinced that more money will always create better
education.  Public education, like everything else run by the
government, is almost by definition inefficient and wasteful.

Still, as bad as it may be, I received my entire pre-college education
from the public system, even the Southern public system, spending some
of those years being bussed to schools in neighborhoods I wouldn't
want to walk around in at night.  I'm doing fine.  Some of the people
who started school with me and had the same teachers and the same
materials I had aren't doing fine, but their problems stem more
from inadequacies at home and within themselves than with the public
education system.

How does more money thrown at a school solve the problem of parents
who don't take part in their child's development and education?  My
parents read to me from day one.  I was reading long before I attended
public school.  How do schools make up for parents who don't make even
that minimum investment in their kids?

--
The pieces you want and nothing else - easy online bidding!
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)