 Off-Topic / Debate / 1351
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 08:42:49 GMT

Thomas Main <main@appstate.edu> wrote:
I don't think people will flock to the free service.  For one thing, I
think government health care shouldn't be free - but scaled to personal
income; only the destitute would get free emergency care.  I think in
European countries, those that can afford private health care prefer it
over national health care plans because the quality of service is better
privately.  But I still think government health care has a place - to
catch those who are uninsured privately.

This is something I'm curious about.

In these European countries that have this utopia of "free" healthcare
I would assume it is paid for with taxes, right?  I've also heard that
in such places those who have the means most definitely do choose
private care.

If so, do those people get to opt out of paying the taxes for the
"free" healthcare they aren't receiving?

I'm thinking a system that lets you choose to pay your share of taxes
and receive the care or not pay them and absolutely not be eligible
without providing the cash at the time of service might work, maybe
not.  I assume there are those who might say that even those who
willingly choose to not pay should still be eligible in emergencies or
things that happen "through no fault of their own".

--
The pieces you want and nothing else - easy online bidding!
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)