 Off-Topic / Debate / 1332
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 00:31:04 GMT

Well, we really have a quite a little mutual admiration
society going here, don't we.  All this macho, I've-got-
10-jobs back-slapping is touching, but let me offer a little
unsolicited advice:  Don't get sick, especially with a long-term,
chronic disease.  If you do, you'd better have some deep pockets.

I'd like to tell you all a true story.  I know, Larry, you're
sick and tired of hearing about this kind of thing, but, I
apologize in advance.  It's true.  It's not theory.

This is a story about my mother.  She went to work in the local
textile mill when she was 14, didn't get her high-school equivalency
degree until she was 50.  (I went to her graduation.)  She has been
a self-employed "hair-dresser" for all of her professional life.
When she and my step father retired in the early eighties they had a
pretty good (I thought) situation.  Between them, they owned 3 houses,
had a fairly decent savings account, and were living fairly well off
the rental income, but in 1985 or so she was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
This along with a number of other health problems eventually (after
day care, home nursing, etc.) landed her in a nursing home.  To make
a long story short, eventually the maw of the  nursing home consumed
all of her savings plus the 3 houses, believe it or not.  The nursing
home said, either pay up or you have to leave.

Including prescription drugs, her monthly bill was around $3500.
Could you afford to pay that?  Maybe you could.  She couldn't;
the money was gone.  I couldn't.  I couldn't afford home nursing
care.  I couldn't take care of her myself.

If the Libertarian Party does not have a clear, unambiguous
response to this situation (that doesn't involve throwing
people out on the streets to die or involve some theoretical
pie-in-the-sky charity) then the majority of clear-headed Americans
are *never* going to go for it.  Never.

John C.