 Off-Topic / Debate / 1452
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 13:35:25 GMT

<3785FAB8.391B@mindspring.com> <378640fa.5882690@lugnet.com>

Steve Bliss wrote:

Actually, it's an old law.  And the guy didn't just utter the f-word a few
times, he was all aggro-ed out, and shouting so people a fair distance away
could hear him, and on and on.

Personally, I don't care what language he was using.  He sounded like
someone who needed a clear lesson on the difference between the 1st
Amendment and Public Nuisance.

Ninety days seems a bit extreme, but a hefty fine would have been in order.

I mostly come to the same conclusion you do but for different reasons.

While the owner has the right to impose whatever restrictions or
requirements he wishes on visitors to his property, many restrictions
(such as against cursing, styles of dress, and etc.) are not justifiable
on public property.

So the law against cursing in public should be struck down. (1)

This feller should have been prosecuted under threatening behaviour and
public nuisance restrictions

1 - an example of my general tendency to want to get rid of specific
prohibitions and use the common law which usually can do a fine job of
taking care of the ill that the specific prohibition is trying to
address

lugnet.