 Off-Topic / Debate / 1341
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 22:02:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeff Stembel writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Stanley writes:
Jeff Stembel <Dragonelf1@aol.com> wrote:
But Unemployment runs out.  What if the only people hiring are minimum wage
jobs?  Oh, wait!  Larry doesn't believe in the Minimum Wage (I believe he
said so a couple months ago), does he!  I guess "A" will be working in a
sweat shop for $1.10 an hour!

Ignoring the minimum wage issue, who cares if the only jobs available
are minimum wage?

If he gets hit by a truck (this is what the original post was about), he'd be
refused medical attention because he has no benefits and can't afford it on • his
own.  Through no fault of his own, society and the government have just
condemned him to death or disability.  Since he has no disability protection,
chances are he'd get fired from his minimum wage job and be unable to get
another one.  Oh, well, I guess he's just not trying hard enough, is he?

I think that you're ignoring (as I understand it) a basic tenate of
Libertarianism.  Where does the fault lie?  If this person has no savings, is
it his own fault, or circumstances beyond his control?  More to the immediate,
who's fault is it that he got hit by a truck?  If it is his fault, well tough
luck, buddy.  There may be a charity out there willing to help you, but you're
the bonehead who stepped into the street without checking.  If the truck driver
is at fault, then the truck driver is now responsible for paying for the guy's
medical care.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/