 Off-Topic / Debate / 1340
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 20:45:50 GMT

John Cromer wrote in message ...

Well, we really have a quite a little mutual admiration
society going here, don't we.  All this macho, I've-got-
10-jobs back-slapping is touching, but let me offer a little
unsolicited advice:  Don't get sick, especially with a long-term,
chronic disease.  If you do, you'd better have some deep pockets.

I'd like to tell you all a true story.  I know, Larry, you're
sick and tired of hearing about this kind of thing, but, I
apologize in advance.  It's true.  It's not theory.

This is a story about my mother.  She went to work in the local
textile mill when she was 14, didn't get her high-school equivalency
degree until she was 50.  (I went to her graduation.)  She has been
a self-employed "hair-dresser" for all of her professional life.
When she and my step father retired in the early eighties they had a
pretty good (I thought) situation.  Between them, they owned 3 houses,
had a fairly decent savings account, and were living fairly well off
the rental income, but in 1985 or so she was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
This along with a number of other health problems eventually (after
day care, home nursing, etc.) landed her in a nursing home.  To make
a long story short, eventually the maw of the  nursing home consumed
all of her savings plus the 3 houses, believe it or not.  The nursing
home said, either pay up or you have to leave.

Including prescription drugs, her monthly bill was around $3500.
Could you afford to pay that?  Maybe you could.  She couldn't;
the money was gone.  I couldn't.  I couldn't afford home nursing
care.  I couldn't take care of her myself.

If the Libertarian Party does not have a clear, unambiguous
response to this situation (that doesn't involve throwing
people out on the streets to die or involve some theoretical
pie-in-the-sky charity) then the majority of clear-headed Americans
are *never* going to go for it.  Never.

John C.

  Thanks for pointing this out.  You are right, our general voting public
(clear-headed Americans) would rather vote for assholes that lie and say
they will make things better than for people who could actually make things
better if their ideas were put into practice.  I needed to be reminded.  The
politicians who are running on a health care platform might say they will
make improvements in health care (which they won't) and will do so at the
expense of some other government program(s).  Sounds perfect to me.  I guess
the Libertarians better learn how to lie better or they will *never* get
anywhere.

   BTW - these politicians make this need for health care out to be some
sudden new catastrophe that has befallen our country.  Suddenly, every party
must come up with an answer, when there is no answer.  In the case of your
mother, you have my condolences; it is sad.  I guess thirty years ago, the
doctor would have admitted that he did not know what was wrong, and would
have told her to gets lots of rest.  She would have been bed-ridden and
after a while she would die, and she would have left an estate.  The health
care industry is just as corrupt as anything else, and letting the
government in will only make it worse.

--
   Have fun!
   John