 Off-Topic / Debate / 1324
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 15:11:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Stanley writes:
Jeff Stembel <Dragonelf1@aol.com> wrote:
But Unemployment runs out.  What if the only people hiring are minimum wage
jobs?  Oh, wait!  Larry doesn't believe in the Minimum Wage (I believe he
said so a couple months ago), does he!  I guess "A" will be working in a
sweat shop for $1.10 an hour!

Ignoring the minimum wage issue, who cares if the only jobs available
are minimum wage?

If he gets hit by a truck (this is what the original post was about), he'd be
refused medical attention because he has no benefits and can't afford it on his
own.  Through no fault of his own, society and the government have just
condemned him to death or disability.  Since he has no disability protection,
chances are he'd get fired from his minimum wage job and be unable to get
another one.  Oh, well, I guess he's just not trying hard enough, is he?

I've worked for varying amounts in my life.  If you work for 35 years
making $30k per year (sorry, that should probably be $40-50k/year if
we're talking a unionized plant job) and you lose your job, for
whatever reason, then you get whatever job you can find.  If that
means you have to dig ditches or shovel shit for a year for minimum
wage you do it.

Have you ever lost a high-paying job and had to get a minimum-wage one?  If so,
did you ever get sick during this time?

Or do people have the "right" to high paying jobs as well?  I know
union supporters would say yes, but in the real world, no.

No, of course not.  But you should not be dismissed as being lazy, nor should
you be turned away from neccessary medical attention.

Jeff