 Off-Topic / Debate / 1370
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 22:02:10 GMT

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999 14:27:17 GMT, Larry Pieniazek uttered the following
profundities...
Richard Dee wrote:
lar said:
- fixed percentage sales tax that applies to all goods and
services. No exemptions.

You would tax food? It is something essential to life itself.

What part of "no exceptions" don't you understand?

ALL or nothing. Water is something essential to life itself. So is
gasoline if it's in the car that's rushing you to the hospital, or nails
if they're in the 2by4 directly over your head keeping the rain off. I'd
tax them too.

Unless of course, you are one of the poor sods denied any health care,
because even if they made it to the hospital, they might be deemed
an unsuitable candidate by the charity that provided some health care
to some uninsured individuals.

As soon as you make one exception you are not being pure here. As I
said, I prefer a poll tax (flat fee, no exceptions, applies 100% to your
income till it's paid, to the road to pick up litter if you can't pay up
by the end of the year) to a sales tax, and a pure no exceptions sales
tax to an impure one.

Though one could argue taxation on certain items of food (1),
to tax *all* food items, IMO, is criminal and insane.

Well that's certainly one opinion. It happens to be wrong. I like Mike's
demonstration of why. As soon as you allow exceptions, you're
influencing behaviour. Whenever government influences economic behaviour
we get less than optimal results.

Keep the government out of the marketplace. That's what we're debating
here, after all.

I prefer all-food items zero-rated. No tax on food. . Your
examples to counter the exemption of food are a bit too
comical (though no doubt, some tax lawyer may try to use that
example if their client is being audited!)
Living in a country so anti-tax, it does seem absurd to propose
tax on something so essential as all food.
richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net remove nospam.(lugnet excepted)
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
ICQ 13177071                  AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888