 Off-Topic / Debate / 1355
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 14:27:17 GMT

Richard Dee wrote:
lar said:
- fixed percentage sales tax that applies to all goods and
services. No exemptions.

You would tax food? It is something essential to life itself.

What part of "no exceptions" don't you understand?

ALL or nothing. Water is something essential to life itself. So is
gasoline if it's in the car that's rushing you to the hospital, or nails
if they're in the 2by4 directly over your head keeping the rain off. I'd
tax them too.

As soon as you make one exception you are not being pure here. As I
said, I prefer a poll tax (flat fee, no exceptions, applies 100% to your
income till it's paid, to the road to pick up litter if you can't pay up
by the end of the year) to a sales tax, and a pure no exceptions sales
tax to an impure one.

Though one could argue taxation on certain items of food (1),
to tax *all* food items, IMO, is criminal and insane.

Well that's certainly one opinion. It happens to be wrong. I like Mike's
demonstration of why. As soon as you allow exceptions, you're
influencing behaviour. Whenever government influences economic behaviour
we get less than optimal results.

Keep the government out of the marketplace. That's what we're debating
here, after all.

lugnet.