 Off-Topic / Debate / 1371
Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 22:02:21 GMT

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999 23:31:15 GMT, Selçuk <teyyareci> uttered the following
profundities...
<snipped, but only for repost brevity>
I am British. A lot of your post seemed to be written assuming
I was American.

Being British, though, am well aware of our own brutal history.
We invented the concentration camp, endorsed creation of the
state of Israel, more to get rid of the problem of administering
it, and pretty much abandoning the region afterwards. The
crusades, and how English troops seemingly gleefully slaughtered
every Jew they came across on the way to the Holy Land. And
if my memory doesn't fail me, the laying siege to, and then
burning, a large Jewish community in 14th century Yorkshire,
killing, I believe, 1000's. Our support of slavery, countless
examples of colonial injustices, 500 years of dreadful
treatment of the Irish....I could go on and on.

The Kurdish reference was more in relation to Northern Iraqi
Kurds, not the PKK (IRA are terrorists too, we are not immune
to domestic terrorism). We did encourage them to revolt
against the Iraqi regime, and subsequently abandoned them.

The Armenian issue..... By referring to Ottoman does not
necessarily refer to Turk. Their reach was far, their empire
big. True, many wildly conflicting reports of what went on
during the 1910's exist, but one commonality is that many
died, (some reports say a million). Another consistancy
from many of the reports is that they were bombed and
gassed by the Ottomans. (How many died as a direct result
of those actions is another wildly inconsistant factor).
I am unaware of any other actions by the Ottomans that is
so contentious an issue. All that I had ever read or heard
about was Ottoman hostility towards Armenians.

The original post did refer to many other examples, which I
did not list, as there are sadly too many of them. A great
shame that just one that I did list should have caused such
outrage. I do try to provoke, but I do not intend to offend,
though provocation does cause that. None intended!
richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net remove nospam.(lugnet excepted)
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
ICQ 13177071                  AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888