 Off-Topic / Debate / 1263
Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 14:03:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Dee writes:
The 20th century has seen humanity take a great leap backwards
in terms of our "humanity." Chemical warfare, bombing of
civilian targets, etc.

<rant>
Civilians have *always* been killed in war.  Just because we have more powerful
weapons doesn't mean we are "less humane".  Ever heard of some small events
from before the twentieth century including: The Inquisition, the Crusades, and
the Industrial Revolution?  That entire period in history could be termed
"Inhumane".  You use chemical weapons as an example of us being "less humane".
Well, how humane is it to lob corpses into a walled city to spread disease?
Until recently, governments wouldn't really consider going into another country
to defend people would couldn't defend themselves.  IMO, trying to defend the
Albanians was the right thing to do.  We just went about it in the wrong way
(by trying to bomb them into submission).  Personally, I think this is a more
humane era(1) than any other.
</rant>

Whew!  Sorry about that.  :)  Anyways, We still have a long way to go before
I'll be happy with the Human race.

Jeff