 Off-Topic / Debate / 1261
Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 23:32:58 GMT

Richard Dee wrote in message ...
On Wed, 23 Jun 1999 03:52:06 GMT, Christopher L. Weeks uttered the • following
profundities...
Richard Dee wrote:

Pearl Harbour was a military target. Hiroshima and Nagasaki
were civilian cities. There were sufficient industrial and
military targets available that would have resulted in

I'm not convinced.  I think we basically had to really drive home that
we don't view the world the way they did, and that we were willing to do
anything possible to destroy them.  I think we managed that with as
little loss of value as possible.

The only positive thing was the quick and rapid end to the war. I
still think that it could have been brought to just as rapid
a close had the numerous military and industrial targets been
hit. What US civilian targets were hit by Japan? None that I
can think of (excepting a rogue bomb here or there during PH).

   Well, the US has had the good fortune of not having many wars at home
lately.  It makes it difficult for the opponents to bomb our civilian
targets.  However, had they the good chance to do so, I am quite sure the
Japanese would have.  We didn't want the war here, and so we fought the war
in a way to end it (and all wars, supposedly).  To say the US should not
have nuked Japanese civilian cities because Japan did not do the same thing
to the US is the poorest defense for that argument I have seen yet.

The 20th century has seen humanity take a great leap backwards
in terms of our "humanity." Chemical warfare, bombing of
civilian targets, etc.

   This is good debate fodder.  This is the most ridiculous thing I have
heard today.  Humanity has not changed at all.  Technology has risen
immeasurably, producing things which humane people like, such as medicine
and safe food.  Also, it has helped create better weapons -which means more
powerful, more destructive weapons to those who weild them.  The people who
have used weapons wrongly in the past are the same kind of (inhumane) people
that do it today.  Not all of us are animals.

Japanese surrender. Granted, what the Japanese did
throughout Asia was horrendous, and that it was war, but
that is no justification for incinerating civilian cities.

I think it is.

We will never agree on this point. Though personally, I am
upset that the cold war is over, and that the spectre of
nuclear anihalation is no longer with us, I cannot find any
moral justification for obliterating civilian targets.
War is hell, but leave the civilian targets alone!

  What?  I am just torn up inside because the cold war has ended, too.
Well, I can't find any moral justification for war, except to defend against
an invader (of my country or an ally) which is exactly what the US did in
World War 2.  I don't like the idea of thousands dying at once (by whatever
means) any more than you do, but in those circumstances, the US military did
the right thing.  Hope we continue to do it right, ally(1).

  1) - not that anything the US military has done lately was done properly
or to everyone's liking.

--
   Have fun!

John's Lego AUCTION Page - several sets on auction, more soon!
(6067,6023,4558,8880 ++++ more!)
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/ig88888888/
John's Lego Web TRADE Page - updating it soon!
http://www114.pair.com/ig88/lego/index.htm
John ( ig88888888@stlnet.com  - IG88888888 on AOL):
MOC,CA[cl,bf,cr,fm,bk+++ wp,dm,rk,df++ fk-]++++(6035)
SW,TR,old(456)+++ TO++ PI,SP+ DU--
#+++++ S LS¼ Hy? M+ A+++ LM-- IC12m