 Off-Topic / Debate / 1229
Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:43:26 GMT

Sproaticus wrote:
There were (and still are) places in the American south where black people
would be safe to not go to.

Do you have specific examples? This is a very vague and rather flagrant  insult
for the South, especially since there are a lot of places everywhere in the
world where people of all creeds, colors, etc., can not go because of safety
concerns. Going down Saginaw Street past the downtown district in Flint,
Michigan, is a good example. Don't turn off between the downtown district until
you get to I-475 North, or you can get into some serious trouble, from the gangs
to the drug dealers and the like. There are a lot of ignorant people out there
that are racist, that do hurt people, but it is a common thing, not designated
into one area or another.

later, we still can't apologize to the Japanese for nuking two >largely
civilian cities.  Fifty years later, we're still cleaning up the mess >in
Europe.  We never learn.

No offense, but this is so erroneous, I cannot even begin to verbalize, but I
will try anyway:

Why do we have official "apologies" for so many things? I cannot begin to think
we the United States or anyone else for that matter should apologize outside of
1) People as a whole who did the atrocities in the first place (Such as Nazi
Germany, Fascist Italy, and Imperial Japan) or 2) Individuals who did them
(Hitler, Mussolini (sp?), Third Reich Members, etc.)  for what happened in World
War II. The japanese were the ones that destroyed Pearl Harbor, killing innocent
civilians, plus military personnel. We had to respond, and we did. The United
States had invasion plans for the mainland of Japan, and were gearing up for
that until the nuclear bombs were ready and the go ahead was ordered. Wars are
not nice, are not friendly, and most of all, not politically correct. When you
fight a war, to win, you use whatever means necessary in order to do that.
Estimates were over 1 million to two million Allies casualties, and the
estimates for winning were from 1948 to 1950! The nuclear weapons ended Japans
ability to respond, and they surrendered. Yes it was horrible, yes it was
tragic, but it was war. The Japanese started it, we finished it. Pure and
simple. We do not need to apologize.

Speaking of getting stuff off our chests, how about our wonderful
Perjurer-as-Chief, Bill Clinton, apologizing for slavery. Did he have something
to do with it? Or is it yet another attempt by this administration to get a
photo op? Does it make a difference? No. Does it help anyone? No. Does it affect
people today? Only for a political tool. Oh wait, that is what this president
always uses. What a joke. Ugh! Now to eat lunch and find some solace in some
bricks.

Scott Sanburn

Cheers,
- jsproat