 Off-Topic / Debate / 1296
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 20:28:04 GMT

Larry,

I would like to understand the Libertarian principle better, but am
finding it hard to understand from your responses in the various debates
that have occured.

What is the Libertarian view laws and law enforcement? We can all
certainly agree that murder and theft are crimes (though we may disagree
as to exactly what is considered murder and theft, especially as
pertains to government actions). How does the Libertarian principle say
that crime should be dealt with? Do we have a police force? If so, how
is it chosen, regulated, and funded?

What is the Libertarian view on protecting the environment? Does it
agree at all that the environment should be protected? If the
environment is to be protected, how do we "pay" for that? How do we
punnish someone for poluting a river, or is the fact that he lives
upstream of me mean that he has a higher claim to the water, and if I
want cleaner water, I have be willing to live farther upstream? I guess
given a perfect market, what would end up happening is that the value of
the clean water is sufficient that enough rivers will be left
unpolluted, but how do we get there?

One thing that I suspect would occur in a "perfect" society (which I
truly think the Libertarian movement really is trying to attain, I just
don't always feel comfortable with the path which needs to be taken to
get there), that "charity" would exist, and would take care of many of
the situations people feel we need government intervention for, but note
that almost all charitable organizations (and especially the most
successefull - thinking of Habitat for Humanity for one example here) do
require the recipients to "earn" the charity, often in part by
contributing labor. The perfect society would also have plenty of
artists and museums, and plenty would be just as open as the current
government run museums. For one thing, I think the artists would be paid
a fairer wage in the first place so there wouldn't need to be as many
grants. There would also be plenty of private grants (and in fact I
think most of the grant money in the art world is private anyways - but
maybe I'm horribly wrong).

I think the hardest thing is how do we move from a governmental society
to a Libertarian society? There are a lot of strings to unwind.

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com