 Off-Topic / Debate / 1299
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 02:47:57 GMT

Thomas Main <main@appstate.edu> wrote:
The government collects taxes and spends the money it gets for the
welfare of its people.  Where would we be without this system?  We need

I don't have time to get into this fully, but I agree more with Larry
than Thomas, I'm afraid.

What I do have time to do, though, is assert that "the government"
most certainly does NOT spend the money it gets for the welfare of the
people.  The people in government who make the biggest decisions about
spending money, in other words the legislature, spend money primarily
with one goal in mind - get as much pork as possible for their
districts or their states while also satisfying the desires of the
lobbyists and groups they have whored themselves out to, all with the
goal of getting re-elected.  All of them do it.

I heard on the radio today about how Frist had gotten funding for some
bullshit project in the smokey mountains that is cataloging all the
plants and animals there.  A huge amount of money to build some
building to do something that will essentially be useless to the
majority of the country.

No, the "government" doesn't spend money to benefit the people.  The
money it spends may very well end up benefitting some people, but only
at the expense of others.

--
The pieces you want and nothing else - easy online bidding!
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)