 Off-Topic / Debate / 1288
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 14:38:58 GMT

Thomas Main wrote:

Government, on the other hand, is here to
serve the people.

No, the proper role of government is to secure the rights of people, not
serve them with free goods. You seem to have these two points completely
reversed.

I don't remember seeing anything about "free".  And the government *is* here to
serve the people.  What do you call road building/maintenance?  A "right"?
Everything the government does is funded by the Taxpayers, hence our obligation
to pay taxes.  If you don't think you should have to pay taxes, stop using
everything that is funded by the government.

Jeff