 Announcements / 1154
  The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

X-P'd to: .announce because it seems appropriate somehow .castle.org.cw because plenty of story stuff goes on there - I hope I'm not being too presumptuous .castle.ninja because, well, it'll be obvious momentarily Greetings all. I had the thought (...) (23 years ago, 8-Jul-01, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja) !

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

Hi Kevin! Wow, that *rocks*. Oughtta be PG-13 with all that violence, but it looks like a very promising start of a great story. More comments below... (...) You're not being too presumptuous; you're welcome to join CW. A lot of people just post (...) (23 years ago, 8-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

Whoops! Shiri's post reminded me; I'd forgotten to add that there is some measure of "splatter factor" in this piece, so those with delicate sensibilities and/or young children should click (or not) appropriately. K (23 years ago, 8-Jul-01, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) very nice work, kevin! i whole-heartedly encourage you to continue this project! the design and execution of your story-telling is top-notch! (IMH(P)O)* the photography is superb. please divulge what kind of camera (digital; film?) and (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

Kevin Maynes wrote: <SNIP>> (...) Wow! What a great story! I'm not always too into the blod and guts method of story-telling, but this was an engagin tale! I really liked the photography (as was mentioned before) but must make particular mention of (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) I have been thinking that I should expand beyond LEGO Space soon so I will try (one of these days) to build a LEGO Castle. I will also see that story. Jesse Long P.S. Are you still angry at me, Shiri? (23 years ago, 9-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) I like your story but I feel that the excess blood in the story is too reminiscent of Mortal Kombat and too many anime scenes in anime so I believe that if you want an equally effective scene, you should use angles in your work. I love the (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) Thanks for reminding me about that by the way. I'd intended to add a caveat regarding the potential need for a rating, but forgot in mid-post. I just hope my earlier slap-dash reply covers it.. (...) I guess this is going to need some work, (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) Hey, cool, kudos from a pro! :) I'm using a digital camera, specifically a Sony DSC-505V. It handles the macro shots quite well I think for a point-n-shoot camera. Just needs lots of light, which is why I took the whole shebang out into the (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) Thanks! It took a while to get the set built - I wanted to give it a nice dense "foresty" feel and block out as much of the "real world" as possible, all within the confines of my limited collection of greenery. Much shuffling of trees ensued! (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) Ummmm thanks for your comments. I may well get more dynamic with each passing issue, should they come about, we'll have to wait and see. Can't say much about the blood content though, what the writer says goes for the most part. I did resist (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

Kevin Maynes wrote: <SNIP (...) <SNIP> Hey Kevin, maybe it is just my particular version of Netscape(Communicator 4.73) Navigator , but each of the linked pictures I clicked on (from the "BIG" comic page) opened in the SAME window. Resizing it as (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

Wow!!! Lego chambara!!! Sonny Chiba would be proud of you. Everyone else has already drooled over the good stuff (pic quality, image angles, nature layout, etc) so let me just say that I think this is a great adaptation of the manga/movie/anime (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) Who is the writer for The Wanderer? I also have a series of which I want to make but I do not have that many LEGO pieces for what I really want to make and my series is somewhat reminiscent of the LEGO Space themes and Mad Max and other future (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) I must say your story sucks. I don't care what most poeple say. It sucks. Yes , i'm entitled to my own opinion. And it is that your story sucks ass. Your'e probably all thinking "oh my gawd noone on Lugnet has said this to anyone before" but (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) Bryan, Your lack of maturity and continuing negative influence on the community has lead me to remove you from Castle World. If, however, you show a marked change in your behavior, you may be allowed back in. You have continued to break one of (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

Bryan, First of all, I agree with everything that Nathan said about common courtesy, and I was shocked when I read what you had written about Kevin's comic. Yes comic, not an epic novel which you seem to have been expecting. I really enjoyed the (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

Bryan, To put all of this into perspective, consider how you would feel if someone were to post the following message to you: *** Please note that what follows is purely hypothetical and is presented for demonstration purposes only *** Dear Bryan, I (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) I am very new to LUGNET, so I am still observing the expectations and relationships that go on in here. It is a very neat community. I have to admit that I had some of the same thoughts as Bryan when I first read the "online image-novella." (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) Uhhmmmmmm... Ok.. I've got my brother writing for the Wanderer series. I'm paying him for it though, so I'd have to ask him whether he'd be interested in your project - and that I imagine would depend on what you'd be willing to, let's say, (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

hey ur story sorta reminds me of this movie called Ninja Scroll..ur chracter resembles the main chracter jubei and the battle resembles the beggining of the movie..just though ud point that out (23 years ago, 12-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) Wow! I am SO against this move I almost don't have words to describe how I feel. I haven't read the material under discussion (i.e. "The Wanderer"), nor have a seen enough of Bryan's negative posts to be pointedly annoyed with him -- but I DO (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Courtesy. ( WAS Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.)

This really applies to everyone.... What *good* does it do anybody to even post a negative reply to anything? Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, but sometimes your opinion is better kept quiet. Why not go tell your friend that they are ugly, or (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: Courtesy. ( WAS Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.)

I snipped most of Kyle's post because I agree with all of it... (...) None. Note however that a polite constructive criticism is a useful thing, and should not be confused (IMHO) with a "negative reply". Not that Kyle is saying it is but I would (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Factions

Hello, everyone. I know everyone has already shared their views on minifig factions, but I am new so I'll put in my two cents: Black Knights: Epitome of chivalry and all around heroicness. Dragon Masters: Part of BK. Royal Knights, Knights Kingdom: (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

(...) I really like what you wrote about the Classic LEGOLAND faction. I love hearin’ people’s interpretations of the various parties. I too see the Classic LEGOLAND faction as a once famed Camelot that’s faded into the distopic reality of the (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

(...) I think I see the Yellow period as not included in the saga of castle, reasons being that only a few sets were released, a few years of nothing passed between that period and the next releases of castle, and the fact that none of the (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

Ok, I'll play! (...) Boy, do we see these guys differently! Not that I see them as purely evil, but if someone is going to wage war, it would be them. I see BK and DM together as one. (...) Partially agree. These are the good guys, but they are the (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

(...) Lego seems to be portraying them as rebels. ("Rebel Chariot", etc). Rebels are not inherently evil.. or are you getting the "evil" element from their facial features, etc? But then being ugly makes them evil? Something about this cut-and-dry (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

I think the main reason I classify them as good vs. evil is that it is far more interesting to me. If I'm going to build large sites, and have actions performed by my figures, and possibly wirte a story around it, good vs. evil brings up more action (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

(...) This is fun! I have been an avid Castle collector on and off for 21 years, so here is my take on the various groups. Classic castle--the forefathers, the most revered and experienced of all the knight groups. The purple crown insignia is the (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

(...) Whatever does it for you is fair enough. (...) I wasn't suggesting everyone just gets along.. (23 years ago, 13-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

(...) Hmm, interesting that you have the BK completely unrelated to the DM. How do you explain the shared dragon shields and plumes? (23 years ago, 13-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

Hello! (...) I wonder WHO the Black Monarch is? He has a castle, and he has (or is?) a ghost, right? I'm not so familiar with the American names of the sets... For me, the Sheriff of Nottingham wears a Dragonshield and is opponent to King Richard (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Bryan Buckley writes: <much bile, rudeness, and abuse from Bryan Buckley snipped> Whoah, I turn my back for a few hours and look what happens! A Fray! I was undecided for a while about how, or indeed, whether to respond to (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: Courtesy. ( WAS Re: The Wanderer...)

(...) Well said. See also Larry's reply - I agree with his post as well. ... Sure, we all like to hear good things about our work. It makes us feel good, and prompts us to make more. But a coin with only one side isn't much of a coin. Pointing out (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Wilson Raska writes: <bits 'n' pieces snipped here and there> (...) Thanks, and thanks for noticing! :) (...) Thanks also for the defense! (...) I'm glad you enjoyed it. That's all it's really meant for, something to enjoy (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) Thankya thankya. Today I learned a new word and about a rather interesting action film guy. Hooray for google! :) (...) Hear hear! :D Cheers, KMaynes (23 years ago, 13-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) Yeah, it rang a bell as I read the script. I rewatched it though shortly after that, and while you're right there are some similarities to the beginning I think there's enough difference to be safe from the lawyers ;) Thanks for checking out (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: Courtesy. ( WAS Re: The Wanderer...)

(...) I should specify that by "negative" I mean negative "sounding" or a negative "tone". In my book, constructive criticism *is* a postive reply. Throwing out every available cuss word and insult, is a negative reply. I'm just not using the word (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) I see very little in the way of Bryan trying to make "coherent criticisms." Most of his post bashes the story and insults the writer. That is NOT the way to conduct oneself, here or anywhere else. (...) But being none-organized group does not (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: Factions

(...) I think the black monarch is just the warrior king of the BK. He has a pet ghost, or at least mine does. Somebody help me out with this one. The BK are almost unanimously classified as evil. Why? They have always seemed so chivalrous and good (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

(...) Well, the easy way to explain it would be that Lego was too cheap to design another insignia, and they just changed the blue trim and dragon of the BK to green on DM. But that is not too satisfying. There are a few similarities between the two (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Courtesy. ( WAS Re: The Wanderer...)

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Kyle Peterson writes: <some snippage> (...) Fair enough, that's all I wanted to know. Regarding the interface though, using the 'big two' browsers (the versions I've got anyway, don't know the numbers offhand), you never (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: Factions

(...) Here goes am developing a Eur-Asian world Black Knights - Norsemen Full Lion Bodies - English (defense archer torsos are Scottish) Royal Knights (and King Leo torsos) - French (and Dutch) Fright Knights - Russian Black Falcons or Black Eagles (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) Then you are just not reading Bryan's post. He discusses elements of the story and however rude he may have been it IS actually a short critical ESSAY (definition of essay: A short composition on a single subject, usually presenting the (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) (Note from an outsider, just 'cause I caught this and Richard doesn't seem to have seen it yet) Richard, See here: (URL) was the last CW message before yours. HTH (23 years ago, 14-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: Factions

(...) personally, they serve as my protagonist faction. i think it is because most of us began our collection with classic, lions, and black falcons. the black knights serve as the beginning break with the past towards a new future. they are (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

(...) i agree with victor. in my world there are many faction, none represent 'good' and none represent 'evil.' (i don't have an army of the undead either.. unfortunately).. i think the ideas of good and evil are more stagnant than just a plain free (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions( Who evens needs them?)

(...) Actually I have none of the lego factions in my medieval world. I like to be very original , so I have used none of the predetermined factions. I do use the LIon symbol for a kingdom but they are nothing like "The Lion Knights" or "Crusaders" (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

(...) Cool. You could outfit some minifigs in black (like the Blacktron torsos) with the Pirate Captain's hat for the elite totenkopf regiments of Prussia, it would closely match a drawing I've seen of one of the groups. However, that would be more (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) Alright , let me begin. 1.) The layout. I really hated having to click each picture to see an enlarged one , I , like I said before , have seen other versions of this comic book layout , but they're all a big page , no clicking to enlarge. If (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: Factions

(...) Exactly, the above is what I was trying to convey as mroe exciting to me than good vs. evil. (...) That's probably true considering the King's Castle and King's Mountain Fortress were lion castles, where as the smaller Knight's Castle and (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

(...) Oooh, oooh! I am molding a mishappen squad of unead skeletal raiders, but as my money grows so shall the raiders. (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

(...) 196 - 4 brigades of chainmail soldiers and platemail (19 with the armor vest) cav with black and red striped pirates for navy chainmail torso with medalion for line officers two endor luke torsos for elite officers (...) 158 - 2 briades of (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

(...) Well see, here's how I view it. I never liked the names of any characters LEGO has made, so ever since my first set (forestmen's hideout) i would make up original names for the factions and characters, and amalgamate the charcters and bgs as (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

Now Bryan, was that so hard? You stated what you thought, and you didn't need to resort to the name calling and mud slinging. Had you thought it through and posted this the last time you would NEVER have gotten the response you got. I know your only (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw)

  Re: Factions

(...) Hey what about Crusaders and Black Falcons? (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) Fair enough. You're not the only one on that side of the fence. Although, there are some people who said they liked the interface as it was, so I'm going to have to weigh the differences and figure out how it ought to be put together in (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: Courtesy. ( WAS Re: The Wanderer...)

(...) I would agree with this suggestion. The base pages were just small enough that my eyes could not make out the words. If these images were just a bit bigger I would not have had to zoom in on every image with lettering, just the ones that (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) I'm not bothering to read others' comments, but this is what I have to say about it: The story, lego layouts, lighting, photography, etc. were all VERY good! If I have anything negative to say it would be that I found the story somewhat *lite* (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: Courtesy. ( WAS Re: The Wanderer...)

(...) That was my original thought, I think, but somewhere in the process of click-click-repeat I just went ahead and made the page views kinda smaller than they really ought to be. (...) Yes, I'm going to have to do some serious experimentation (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) Thankya. It's more of a prologue, the opening sequence to a larger episode. I can't say what the future instalments hold, as I've not seen the script yet, only heard a quick verbal synopsis. We'll see what comes down the pipe. (...) Yep, I (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) Internet Explorer. Obviously. ;-) -Shiri P.S. Matt - do you like sluggy? (sluggy.com) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) I never was, until you started asking that in every single post you make! <sigh> I have nothing personally against you. I don't know why everyone thinks I hate them! -Shiri (only half-joking) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) And I am definitely going to have to remove all access to it from my computer before you visit again. >:D Jeff (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: Factions

(...) Here is my view on the whole thing. Lego has been so anti-violent that I don't think Lego has intended anyone to be the 'bad guy' in castle. Take this set I recieve for my birthday last week. 6094 The Guarded Treasurey. I put it together and (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

(...) Hello everyone, this is my initial post here though I have read from this site for a while now. I have recently come out of the "Dark Age" and castles were always my favorites so I thought I would put in my .01 at least. I have the Falcons, (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) im sorry, but a few people have said this before and ive gotta ask: how is lego is anyway nonviolent? every castle set includes weaponry of some sort. it is a given conclusion that each faction is at least sometime in combat with eachother? (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

<<services of mercenaries from the North (Axemen). (...) this brings up something ive been wondering about: what is up with the axemen? i mean they generally hang with lions (crusaders), and carry their swords, and thats fine and all.. but, why the (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

OK, I haven't really created a "world" yet, but so far here is what it is roughly ike faction-wise. BTW, my fave faction is the Black Falcons There are two main kingdoms, Kingdom A and B, which have rivalled each oter for centuries, and often go to (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

(...) I always wondered too. Somewhat recently I got 6061 Siege Tower as a set and wondered who the Axemen were attacking with this? In the set the Axers are on the tower, on the wall and outside there is a Lion riding on a horse! What sense is (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

(...) One place Lego seems to be heavily implying that the Bulls are evil is on their flash website story part. One time I looked it over and they pretty much come out and say "King Leo and family are great, and would be in paradise if it weren't (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) lego (...) a (...) military (...) some (...) You must ask yourself, just how many sets have you seen where a minifig was using a weapon on another minifig? I personally cannot recall a single one, though I'm sure there are a few. Yes, the (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) and (...) my point is that inherent violence is still violence, and by building toys with a militaristic focus Lego is giving an implied acceptance to violence. now it is granted that such a view flows from a 'defensive' violence than (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

Hello! (...) LEGO was proud of having never produced sets that glorify war and violence. They never produced (and I guess they won't ever produce) "Kriegsspielzeug" like WWI or WWII tanks, bombers and so on. But of course, swords and spears are (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) Possible Exception: Life on Mars. (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

(...) For me, the axemen cannot have their own faction for one simple reason--there is no such thing as an axeman shield. Plus, knights with the crossed axes appear guarding the King's castle, joining in the attack with the seige tower and battering (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

(...) Well there has never been a surcoat for factions like the batlord's knights, or the BK. The axemen can eieter use round blank shields or they can be some special faction that doesn't use shields at all because they consider them "cowardly". (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

Shiri Dori wrote: <SNIP> (...) Of course I do Shiri!!! not to mention a cople more online comics I Regularly read such as: Clan of the Cats (URL) and Com (URL) High (URL) Life (URL) Arcade! (URL) Tails (URL) Notions (URL) Reflux (URL) Life (URL) (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) catching up, I'm 'bout halfway through. I'm not loving sluggy's current storyline, but usually it rocks. -Shiri (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) Acif Reflux is fun, but she slowed down over the past few months. Something about school, or having a life or something silly like that. I was totally digging Clan of the Cats (as I POURED through the archives) but then I hit the brick wall of (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Factions

I think I will de-lurk for a moment and throw in my two cents worth. My "Crossed Axe" soldiers have always been mercenaries who have often been employed by the peasants to protect their interests or have allowed themselves to be hired by the Lions. (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

(...) Those are good thoughts, and play right in to the rules of Brikwars!! But they are inconsistent with the way the Crossed-Ax soldiers are portrayed in the Lego sets. Anytime you see a crossed ax soldier carrying a shield, it is a lion shield! (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

(...) Very true. I have generally ignored what the boxes "portray" myself. But what is the deal with the armoured inn then? Black Falcon Knight and crossed axe footsoldiers hanging out at an inn together in perfect harmony? (...) Haha, well the (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

(...) don't forget the popular portrayal of wagnerian opera.. i see vision of fat ladies with viking armor and two horned helmet. something i would like to see is some muslim castles, like from the abbassid dynasty.. especially now that we have the (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions

(...) ROFL!! Yes! Now we just need to build an Opera House. We already even have a phantom! (Craig's)... teeheehee... (...) Hmmm, that would be shweet. Maybe if I have time next year, I'll make some mosques based on the ones in the Galilee. They (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) good point.. i think that might be part of why i like LOM so much.. however, in the story version (on lego.com) does have an 'evil' rebel group, which is trying to conquer both mars and earth.. but that story doesn't seem to be definitive to (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) im not familiar with the term, kriegsspielzeug (although im gonna take a guess at something like 'modern war').. could you explain it for me? i think im reading too much theoretical discourse on the nature of violence in the modernist vision.. (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) Krieg: war. Spiel: game. Zeug: well, hazy on that one. "Stuff"? Of course, I use the castle and pirates stuff for games.... Bruce (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) In case it hasn't been thrown out, how would the Sopwith Camel play into the Lego non-implicit violence scheme? Jason (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) Especially since it has a pair of machine guns on it. Give it another 25 years or so to remove the last generations with direct contact to WW2, and I won't be surprised to see a Model Team Tiger tank. As far as "war toys" go, I'm surprised we (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) You could well be right - I think a lot of it is the proximity of the item in question to people who actually suffered from it. The propeller driven biplane isn't viewed as much of a threat anymore. The Spitfire may go the same route (but at (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) ive recently read the book _Modernity and Warfare_ by pk lawrence, in it he describes air power as the apex of modern warfare, in being both aesthetic and horribly violent. the war plane itself (be it biplane, divebomber, or stealth fighter) (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) Of course! Off by 30 years. You can't have a Constitution before you have a constitution! Kevin (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) Well "wasn't" would mean that the USS Constitution no longer exists... Actually Old Ironsides is still afloat and serving in the U.S. Navy. The ship is berthed in Boston Harbor. (URL) Kingsley (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) Oh, I don't know, ask the boll weevil if it thinks a biplane is a threat, especially when dispensing pesticide...but yeah, the point is valid. ...and the basic format of the tank isn't the format it started with. Look at "Mother" and "Little (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.general)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) I think he meant wasn't there a USS Constitution Lego set (that is no longer available, thus past tense). And I went through Boston without stopping to see my very favorite square-rigger. Shame on me. :-( Bryce (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

In lugnet.castle, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes: (oops, snipped one credit too much, this is me that starts this) (...) I can't fault your statement, but I did say "people". :-) (...) Treads, armored body, with various barrels sticking out was what (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) How do you ever manage to spell your last name correctly if you can't spell your first name correctly? FUT: lugnet.off-topic.fun (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) Haha! The truth is I can't type (note the Y is next to the U). And I worked for a company that designed not one, but two typing tutors. I still peck away with my index fingers. Byron Schlieczkberndt (oh, wait, my Mom lost that battle and I (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) Actually, "wasn't" was refering to a lego set which came out many years ago, as in, "was there not a USS Constitution lego set?" and which I was only vaguely familiar with. I had heard about a lego Model Team-type warship, and that it was the (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) Hmm, it looks worse, but it's got a better ratio of vowels to consonants... (1/4 instead of 1/5). (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) Or so you and Howard I. Chapelle claim ;) The real question is whether a 398 Constellation, restored by LEGO Direct and offered as kit 10004, sould be named U.S.S. Constellation. -- Thomas Main main@appstate.edu (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

I think there are too many cases being AGAINST Lego have a non-stated non-violence policy. 1. Star Wars sets. Both Empire & Rebel models. We ALL know how well those two groups got along (and there are several sets that have figures of opposing sides (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

I agree. Just about everytheme has some form of violence worked into it. I mean, even city center sets had Jail Break Joe. Violence is kind of hard to completely avoid. Most of our society is built around action, and action more often than not (...) (23 years ago, 28-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) That's just swiping JFC Fuller! :) Read Fuller's treatises on air power, written just after the horror of WWI, to see how much they feared the bomber. ("The bomber will always get through", all of that.) (...) It could theoretically fire (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) LFB After reading your above statement I must ask, where do you teach at? After spending 4 (long) years at West Point I must say that hearing your previous post brings me back to my days as a cadet in one of my military history classes. I was (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) And more unpredictable. There aren't really "front lines" you can avoid - they'll hit just about anywhere. The horror of war that it is difficult to run from. (...) This isn't entirely accurate. It was used first as intelligence gathering (as (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) dont (...) Well believe it or not, when the Wright brothers inveted the plane, they had envisioned it as something that would make war less violent, because they thought that it would allow generals to spy on each other and stuff, and avoid (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) Well, in some ways that's perhaps true. What were the total casualties in Iraq compared to other wars of comparable scope? While Iraq certainly reminded us of what "precision" means with respect to tossing bombs hundreds of miles, we certainly (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) Yes, but WWI only tore up the ground in the immediate vicinity of, say, Passchendaele, and that was over four years of intense, repeated bombardment. Beyond the first 30 miles or so of the "front," levels of destruction dropped dramatically. (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

Whatta troll!!! Chris Barker chris@superfami.com (...) (23 years ago, 14-Aug-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

Bryan, Sensible comments. I'm not the writer of the story but I do have an opinion. Replies below: (...) This is an accepted method of storytelling. I'm sure there is even a term for it, but I don't know what it is. By bringing a reader/viewer into (...) (23 years ago, 14-Aug-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) Thank you. I appreciate my work. (...) (23 years ago, 14-Aug-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

Why do you need to attack the individual? You said, “you suck” about the creator of the Wanderer! Can’t you differentiate between a ‘story’ and a ‘person’? Perhaps the story did suck, but that doesn’t entitle you to insult the creator. P.S. why (...) (23 years ago, 14-Aug-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) You may not have liked Bryan's original post (neither did I: see (URL) ), but this comment was of a degree more despicable than anything he wrote. If you cannot be constructive in your criticism, I recommend keeping your peace. Alan (23 years ago, 15-Aug-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) Mean, perhaps… Constructive, no… Funny, VERY!!! Fine, t’was a bit far. But his childish “I'm gonna shoot myself” routine was just transparent. P.S. What color is Kurk Cobain’s eyes… one blew right the other blew left! (Infer BLUE for (...) (23 years ago, 15-Aug-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.

(...) *SNIP* Well, looks good so far. When is part 6 coming? (23 years ago, 15-Aug-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja)

  Re: Factions

(...) Why? :) Have you ever seen Polish knight? (22 years ago, 20-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)