 Off-Topic / Debate / 12191
Re: Factions (and violence)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 18:29:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Magnus Lauglo wrote:

In lugnet.castle, Leonard Hoffman writes:

the war plane itself (be it biplane, divebomber, or stealth fighter) was built
with the idea of being used to strategically bomb.  the first bombing raid was
done by Italy before ww1 while attacking the Turkish territory of libya. i • dont
know too much about the sopwith camel specifically, but im sure it either
bombed enemy troops or fired on them.

Well believe it or not, when the Wright brothers inveted the plane, they had
envisioned it as something that would make war less violent, because they
thought that it would allow generals to spy on each other and stuff, and avoid
needless casualties. What could they know?

Well, in some ways that's perhaps true. What were the total casualties
in Iraq compared to other wars of comparable scope? While Iraq certainly
reminded us of what "precision" means with respect to tossing bombs
hundreds of miles, we certainly didn't flatten Iraq to the same extent
as say Dresden, and we sure didn't tear up the ground as much as WWI
did.

   Yes, but WWI only tore up the ground in the immediate vicinity
   of, say, Passchendaele, and that was over four years of intense,
   repeated bombardment.  Beyond the first 30 miles or so of the
   "front," levels of destruction dropped dramatically.  And WWII,
   for all its destruction, is remembered so for the fire and rubble.
   It's worth noting that the USAF dropped more ordnance on the Ho
   Chi Minh trail between 1968 and 1970 than the Allies dumped on
   Germany during the *whole* of WWII--and we all know how Vietnam
   turned out.

   But with Iraq, I think we seriously overstated the effect of
   million-dollar weapons on their military.  In the end, it was
   the noise and fury that softened 'em up for the groundpounders
   to go and accept the surrender of conscript troops.  If we'd gone
   too much further we might have found out just how useless big
   money weapons can be--with the result we had, it turned into
   yet more big money for Raytheon et al., instead of an Afghanistan
   or Viet Nam.

On the other hand of course, one can point out that aircraft allowed a
dramatic expansion of the scope of war because of their capability to
reach hundreds of miles behind the front lines.

   Between aircraft and submarines, war became a constant state of
   mortal fear.  Really, it became very primal--WWI was all about
   getting around your enemy SOMEHOW because the traditional ground
   method was impossible.  Thus, they sailed, they tunneled, they
   flew, they spied--anything possible.  Three-dimensional warfare
   came of age because of exigency, not because of visionary military
   leaders in peacetime.  Just look at Billy Mitchell and the
   treatment he received in the 1920s.

   best

   LFB