Re: Courtesy. ( WAS Re: The Wanderer...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:14:55 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Kyle Peterson writes:
<some snippage>

In regards to The Wanderer comic:
The navigation is what bothered me the most. I would have just made the
original page a lot bigger and skipped the enlarging feature for each frame.
It's a lot easier to scroll down to read the comic, than to have to click to
view each frame; and hit the "back" button continuiously. I'm being picky
because I am a web designer/developer and navigation is a key part of
designing a web site.

I'm not a big fan of Ninja to begin with so between that and the navigation
I stopped at the second page.

-Kyle

Fair enough, that's all I wanted to know.

Regarding the interface though, using the 'big two' browsers (the versions I've
got anyway, don't know the numbers offhand), you never once have to touch the
'back' button. I put it together so that by clicking any panel on the page
image you get the large version of that panel in another window, and every
panel is targeted to that window. Also, by clicking the larger image you can
cycle through the entire page, and the last image sends the next page to the
page (previous) window. So yeah, you end up with 3 windows on your desktop, and
you do have to do a fair amount of clicking, but you never once have to touch
your back button. On systems I've tested with anyway. Um, so there. ;^)

True enough though that I could, and perhaps should, have made it much simpler.
One fellow who responded privately pointed out that I needn't squeeze a
paper-medium style onto a monitor-medium, and directed me toward
www.scottmccloud.com. There are some pretty clever ideas there, of the
Why(smack self) Didn't I(smack) Think Of(smack) That(smack) variety. Making
extensive use of the scroll feature for one, Trails for another, and even
Micropayments.

So now I have to decide whether to forge ahead with the same interface, just to
keep the book contiguous from start to finish, or to completely overhaul it
right from the beginning.
On the other hand, I have to decide whether or not to even continue with the
comic, and sadly only because of the potential cost. It didn't occur to me at
the outset (and it should have), but when it nosed up around 400 hits I did the
math, and I'm waaaaaaaaay over my monthly transfer limit.. fortunately it turns
out to be only $10/GB extra, but at the rate it's going it's sure to add up
quick. I suppose I could pull what's there, but I figure for now, in for a
penny in for a pound.. for now. (end whine :] )

Back to the original thought, thanks for your comments Kyle. As I say, I'll
have to consider what to do with that interface.

Cheers,
KMaynes