Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 14:51:11 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Nathan McDowell writes:
Your lack of maturity and continuing negative influence on the community
has lead me to remove you from Castle World.

I haven't read the material under discussion (i.e. "The Wanderer"), nor have
a seen enough of Bryan's negative posts to be pointedly annoyed with him --
but I DO SEE that in this case Bryan tried to make coherent criticisms and
not just bash the writer of the story.

I see very little in the way of Bryan trying to make "coherent criticisms."
Most of his post bashes the story and insults the writer.  That is NOT the way
to conduct oneself, here or anywhere else.

Yes, Bryan might well have found a much nicer way of getting his opinion
across -- but I am not sure that tactlessness should equal banishment from CW
(and by this I presume you mean that Bryan's site was formerly listed on the
CW website and now is not), and I certainly have to question ANYONE's
"administrative" right to do such a thing even if CW were a coherently
organized group (which I believe it essentially IS NOT and this is one of the
reasons I like it).

But being none-organized group does not mean that there can't be a few basic
rules of etiquette and such.  Nor should it give people free license to act as
they please to members and nonmembers.

I think anyone choosing to associate with the members of CW should be
welcomed regardless of how rough hewn they might be -- if the edges of the
person must needs be softened, let us do so by example and not by
heavy-handed censoring from "on high."

Rough hewn is one thing, rude and completely disrespectful is another thing
entirely.  I could be blunt in my criticisms of something and still submit a
positive message.

And Nathan, I am not really contesting what you have said about Bryan, but
rather what you have averred you may do in this context as administrator of CW
(which to my mind is largely a figurehead position).

Personally, I don't see it as a figurehead position.  He is the administrator
of Castle World, and part of his job is to add in those who wish to join and
remove those who have shown themselves to be detrimental to the community.
Personally, I find it amazing that in a year and a half of existance, Bryan is
the first person to be removed.  I think that says something very positive
about the community in general.

To sum up, I stand behind Nathan's decision completely.

Jeff