Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 04:12:21 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Jeff Stembel writes:
I see very little in the way of Bryan trying to make "coherent criticisms."
Most of his post bashes the story and insults the writer.  That is NOT the way
to conduct oneself, here or anywhere else.

Then you are just not reading Bryan's post.  He discusses elements of the
story and however rude he may have been it IS actually a short critical
ESSAY (definition of essay: A short composition on a single subject, usually
presenting the personal view of the author. A testing or trial of the value
or nature of a thing. An initial attempt or endeavor, especially a tentative
attempt.) of the work. I don't really want to quote his stuff, but it's
really there and if you don't see it then you are in some kind of denial
about it in order to justify what Nathan is doing in retaliation.

Y'all are getting so petty it's making me sick! Welcome to the REAL world,
get a thicker skin quick or get ready to be burned...

[Note to Bryan: it would be nice if you apologized for your personal
attacks, if not your negative critique.  I feel a little like the ACLU
defending the right of Nazis to parade down Main Street here. I am defending
what I think is a higher principle and not your mean-spirited tripe!]

Personally, I don't see it as a figurehead position.  He is the administrator
of Castle World, and part of his job is to add in those who wish to join and
remove those who have shown themselves to be detrimental to the community.

O geez.  I SO don't want to belong to something being administrated from "on
high" that way.  Y'all can remove my name from all the castle world pages
right now as far as I am concerned if this kind of stuff is going to continue...

I am so tired of the clique-ish atmosphere here on lugnet.  It is quite
clear to anyone that strong opinions are simply not welcome. I don't like
what Bryan wrote, but I am defending his right to have expressed it in HIS
WAY despite the fact that I'd prefer he toned down the inflammatory and
somewhat personal nature of his rhetoric.  Banning him from CW is really
quite OUTRAGEOUS and I REALLY want no part of it. Can you people
understand that it is far better to teach someone by example than to just
shun them at the first sign of trouble? I trust none of you are parents with
unruly children...

On the subject of Nathan's rule of CW, I just have this to say: I will not
be ruled without my consent. Nobody has ever discussed any administrator of
CW having any of the abilities that Nathan is excercising as regards Bryan.
Nathan is administrator essentially because he volunteered and not because
any of us have assessed his abilities to handle these kinds of situations
and voted him in -- that is why it is a figurehead position and no more. He
wanted to do it, no one else gainsaid him...THAT'S ALL!

BTW, I am ACTUALLY expecting at least a temporary retraction from Nathan
concerning his banning of Bryan from CW.  Until the matter can be discussed
at greater length by more CW participants, Nathan is acting alone and
without the support of others as far as I see it. No one gave Nathan the
power to pick and choose who can and cannot play in the CW sandbox! CW is
supposed to be about people having fun and exploring creative possibilities
with little plastic blocks.

People are part of CW because they choose to be, and not because we are
selecting them in or out...!

-- Richard