 Castle / 10060
Re: Factions (and violence)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 17:11:11 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Leonard Hoffman writes:

Lego has been so anti-violent ...<

im sorry, but a few people have said this before and ive gotta ask: how is • lego
is anyway nonviolent? every castle set includes weaponry of some sort.  it is • a
given conclusion that each faction is at least sometime in combat with
eachother? even though there are non overtly cruel acts of violence, such as
torture devices, the idea of a SWORD is innately violent.  what purpose to
swords, spears, bows and arrows, and catapults have? violence!

there are only three castle sets that are non-martial (the blacksmith,
merchant, and inn).  that means that all other sets are related to the • military
somehow (either defensively or offensively), which precludes warfare and
violence. in other systems as well: almost all space vehicles have guns of • some
sort on them.

so im just wondering, where did this nonviolent thing get started?

You must ask yourself, just how many sets have you seen where a minifig was
using a weapon on another minifig?  I personally cannot recall a single one,
though I'm sure there are a few.  Yes, the sword, spear, axe and whathaveyou
are innately violent, but lego has tried their best never to actually let that
point be shown.  Look at the latest set, the Royal Joust I believe its called,
the two knights don't joust with each other, they joust with a dummy machine.
Granted, the axe might hit their opponent, but it isn't the other minifig
actually swinging the axe.  My point I was trying to convey is not that lego
castle is NONviolent, but it is ANTIviolent.  That is to say that though there
is inharent violence in the sets, the sets that lego makes instructions for and
the pictures they place on the set boxes do not show such violence.  And with
that, then the different factions that lego has created cannot be finitely
portrayed as 'good' or 'evil.'

So to me, it all comes down to one simple thing.  The factions are who they • are
to you.  If you think the black monarch's troops are evil, then thats what • they
are.  If you think they are good, or chivalrous, again, thats what they are.
All I know for sure is that the Black Monarch was a guy with good taste when • it
came to his crest and architecture.  I mean, after all, the black monarch's
castle is still my favorite.

i agree, it is my favorite, too. it is the only lego made castle that has
really boggled my mind in innovative design. (also i like the black color
scheme).

-lenny

If only lego would go back to that building style.

--Anthony