 Castle / 10061
Re: Factions (and violence)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 18:21:27 GMT

My point I was trying to convey is not that lego
castle is NONviolent, but it is ANTIviolent.  That is to say that though there
is inharent violence in the sets, the sets that lego makes instructions for • and
the pictures they place on the set boxes do not show such violence.

my point is that inherent violence is still violence, and by building toys with
a militaristic focus Lego is giving an implied acceptance to violence. now it
is granted that such a view flows from a 'defensive' violence than offensive,
and this explains why there is no graphic representation of violence (a la
the wanderer). but the acceptance of defensive violence is still an acceptance
of violence.

i think the essence of you are saying is that lego is nonviolent and therefore
does not lead to an idea of good and evil.

i agree that there is no direct labeling of good and evil in old sets
(falcons/lions/forestmen), but this arises not from a nonviolent outlook but
from a nonpolarized outlook. in other words, lego used to not see the world in
good and evil.

however, with the advent of fright knights and since, lego has definately
called on the good guy/bad guy dynamic. i mentioned this before, i think is
apart of lego's juniorization. that not only have sets become simpler, but
their ideological outlook has become simpler. i believe almost every theme
working now has a group dubbed 'good' and one 'bad' (ex. johnny thunder/sam
sinister, king leo/cedric the bull, alpha squad/ogel, etc).

but as far as my world is concerned, there is no evil or good (but plenty of
violence.. the side effect of competeing interests).. the fright knights serve
as my 'bat' and 'spider' clans.

-lenny