 Castle / 10074
Re: Factions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 16:48:05 GMT

this brings up something ive been wondering about: what is up with the axemen?
i mean they generally hang with lions (crusaders), and carry their swords, and
thats fine and all.. but, why the different crest? what does it all mean?

slowly going insane because of the axemen
-lenny

For me, the axemen cannot have their own faction for one simple
reason--there is no such thing as an axeman shield.  Plus, knights with the
crossed axes appear guarding the King's castle, joining in the attack with
the seige tower and battering ram, etc.  They are basically indistinguisable
from the early Lions.  I think of them as being from a different division of
the King's army.  My axeman have the "viking" style helmets with neck guard
and nose guard, plus blue pants.  They either carry lion shields with blue
fields, and since I run out of those, round grey shields with no markings.
The soldiers with lion crests on their chests sport the bullet helmets and
yellow shields and red pants.

I always wondered too.  Somewhat recently I got 6061 Siege Tower as a set
and wondered who the Axemen were attacking with this?  In the set the Axers
are on the tower, on the wall and outside there is a Lion riding on a horse!
What sense is this?  :)  I also started with the 6049 Viking Voyager and I
always thought that the Axemen would be great Vikings if they had a proper
hat.  Thing is, the members of the 'Viking' Voyager are Lions.  I would have
liked to see some bearded, horn-helmed, fur-wearin' Vikings for Axemen and
forget their silly alliance with the Lions.  Also, round shields with emblems.
I once read a very detailed and good rendition of a Lego castle history (I
can't remember where now) in which King somebody had 3 sons, a Lion, a Black
Falcon and an Axeman.  This guy had the Axemen get defeated as the brothers
fought after The King died. If I can find that link again I will share.
Jason

Vikings, Vikings, Vikings!  I would love it if Lego made some historically
accurate looking Vikings with longships and horned helms.  They made
cowboys, so why not?  Ritvik Megablock made some Vikings a while back, and
the ship was pretty cool but the figures were a disappointment.