 Castle / 10117
Re: Factions (and violence)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 16:30:39 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.castle, Kevin Knoot writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jason Reese writes:

In case it hasn't been thrown out, how would the Sopwith Camel play into the
Lego non-implicit violence scheme?

Jason

Especially since it has a pair of machine guns on it.

Give it another 25 years or so to remove the last generations with direct
contact to WW2, and I won't be surprised to see a Model Team Tiger tank.

As far as "war toys" go, I'm surprised we haven't seen a Monitor or Merrimac
from the Civil War yet.  Wasn't there a USS Constitution - the Revolutionary
warship?  And the Armada ships and Soldiers?  Same with the Wild West
soldiers.  Explicitly violent w/guns war toys.  Just give them more time to
remove the stigma WW2 still (rightfully) has, and then you see your Spitfire.

Kevin

You could well be right - I think a lot of it is the proximity of the item
in question to people who actually suffered from it.  The propeller driven
biplane isn't viewed as much of a threat anymore.  The Spitfire may go the
same route (but at this rate, not in my lifetime).  Tanks, on the other
hand, have become more sophisticated and powerful, but the basic format is
the same.

But the real reason for the reply: The USS Constitution wasn't around in the
Revolutionary War.  It made its name during the War of 1812.  :-)

Bruce

Of course!  Off by 30 years.  You can't have a Constitution before you have
a constitution!

Kevin