 Castle / 10069
Re: Factions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 16:40:18 GMT

Lego seems to be portraying them as rebels. ("Rebel Chariot", etc). Rebels
are not inherently evil.. or are you getting the "evil" element from their
facial features, etc? But then being ugly makes them evil?

Something about this cut-and-dry evil vs. good thing bothers me. Maybe it's
just the way I'm remembering it, but it seems to me back in the Black
Falcon/Crusader days, neither faction was portrayed as good or evil, leaving
interpretation open to the real-world where it's never quite so simple and
good or evil depends who's side you're on or who wrote the textbooks...

One place Lego seems to be heavily implying that the Bulls are evil is on
their flash website story part.  One time I looked it over and they pretty
much come out and say "King Leo and family are great, and would be in
paradise if it weren't for the bad old Cedric the Bull. He won't rest until
he steals the kingdom from Leo" or something like that.  Every soldier of
Leo (invariably Richard the Strong....cloning?  :)  is described as good and
just and the Bull's soldiers are less than that.  The part that gets me is
that in the Royal Joust, the Bulls show up to play too....The box or site
describes it as Cedric wanting to make Leo's guys look bad, but if I am
"evil" Cedric, the joust is when I show up with my whole army and take Leo
and his kingdom.  Oh well.
I agree that Lego must have been trying to not take sides during the good
factions days, but I can tell you as a Falcon fan every  box with them is
them fighting seems like.  Also "Black" Falcon and "Black" Monarch seem to
ring of evil too. Not the color so much as the mental image.  I think Lego
likes the Lions best and there you go.  My Dragons and Falcons are not evil
though!

Jason