Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 17:23:16 GMT

Bryan wrote
I must say your story sucks. I don't care what most poeple say. It sucks.
Yes , i'm entitled to my own opinion. And it is that your story sucks ass.
Your'e probably all thinking "oh my gawd noone on Lugnet has said this to
anyone before" but you know what? I did.
  I'm so sick of these stories that are like "if I have excessive gore and
eye candy then I don't need a real story or next to any dialogue because the
reader will be focused on the action." And what the hell is the story? In
feudal Japan some Raiden wannabe wanders around and kills people. Does he
have a motive? We are not told. Why does he kill thiefs and small time
criminals? Read the first part of this paragraph. And another thing is  the
dialogue it does have is utterly horrible. And whats with the guy who keeps
thinking "Oooh what a big stick." It seems your attempts at petty  humor
have fallen flat. The comic concept isn't even very new , iv'e seen it used
before. Also illustrating it completely shows that you must have next to no
talent for writing. Don't write another chapter into this Wander "online
image novella." How pathectic , your'e trying to make a comic sound fancy.
Don't write another chapter , I don't want to see anythign else added to
this hunking pile of bullcrap. You suck. Stick to building , because you
obviously can't write.

Bryan,
Your lack of maturity and continuing negative influence on the community
has lead me to remove you from Castle World...(T)elling someone
they suck and generally ridiculing them isn't very considerate and it's not
a form of constructive criticism at all.  That isn't an attitude that's
welcome in CW members.

~Nathan
Webmaster- Castle World
www.castle-world.org

I am very new to LUGNET, so I am still observing the expectations and
relationships that go on in here.  It is a very neat community.  I have to
admit that I had some of the same thoughts as Bryan when I first read the
"online image-novella."  The story so far is a bit cliche, and like many
games and movies coming out these days, is rich in visuals but short on plot.

But then again, it is very cool the way they made it to look like a comic
book, and where each panel could pop up for closer viewing, just as if you
were reading a paper comic book.  And you can't really expect a fully
fleshed out story it this point, it is basically just the intro or prologue,
almost like an experiment to see if finishing the project is warranted.  I
say keep at it.

Bryan, if I had to guess your age I would guess you are a very young person.
At this point in your life, it is much easier to criticize someone else's
work than to actually do something of your own.  Think of all the time that
the creators of "The Wanderer" must have put into this project.  And they
did it all to share with other people who like that sort of thing.  You seem
to be expecting Pulitzer prizewinning caliber work, but get real.

The story obviously hooked you in, because you were wondering who these
characters were and what their motivations were.  If you were a stronger
writer yourself, you could have expressed all the same opinions you did in
your post, but done it more subtly with more wit, thus skating under the
radar of the Nathan's of the world.  Instead you decided to use the phrase
"hunking pile of bullcrap."  So now who is being mindless?

I hope you make it back in, Bryan, because you could be the Jim Rome of
LUGNET.  You just need to find a way to be brutally honest while still
respecting the hard work that so many in this community put in.  You are
obviously a person with a good mind and very capable of independant,
critical thinking.  Saying something "sucks" is beneath you.