Re: The Wanderer, an online image-novella.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle.ninja
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 04:12:05 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Bryan Buckley writes:

         Alright , let me begin.
1.) The layout. I really hated having to click each picture to see an
enlarged one , I , like I said before , have seen other versions of this
comic book layout , but they're all a big page , no clicking to enlarge. If
you just made the pages larger , it would be a big help , and would cut the
time it takes to load all the panels in half.

Fair enough. You're not the only one on that side of the fence. Although, there
are some people who said they liked the interface as it was, so I'm going to
have to weigh the differences and figure out how it ought to be put together in
future. I'm undecided at this point.
I think my original thought was to make the page view just big enough to make
out what was going on, so the reader would have the option of clicking a panel
to view it larger should they so choose - thus /possibly/ cutting down the
download time for those not terribly into the detail. I think in the process I
lost that first thought, and just went ahead and made the page images real
small. Whether I do a better job next time 'round depends on whether or not I
decide to keep the interface. We'll see.
Oh, and I reread your original post - you say here "like I said before," but
you didn't mention the interface at all.

2.) The story. Who is this Wanderer? What is he doing on that road? Why is
eh there? Does this man have soem sort of troubled past? What? I don't like
it that wer'e given no background info  on  this man , wer'e just shot into
a scene of him walking down a road and beign ambushed by thieves..which
brings me to point three.

Well I think that's intentional, as a draw, to get readers interested and maybe
even excited and anticipating the next instalment. Um, those readers who liked
the first one, anyway. fnord.
It's just a small piece of a larger whole, so you can't really dig a full story
arc out of it. If I understand the outline correctly it'll involve a total of 4
or 5 instalments for the whole episode.

3.) The gore. Like it has been said before , very MK-esque , and MK and
Legos are one thing that should not be associated. And it has been said
before , petty thugs and theifs are usually of a lower intelligence , so
giving them a sound thrashing usually gets them off your back. Even if you
do have killing , turn down the gore , decapitation and all that is a no-no
, he could just stab them. And think abotu it , all the great heroes never
kill their enemies , lets take for example Batman , he never kills Joker's
thugs , he just beats them senseless and they tend to leave him alone. Same
with Batman. Even a wild example would be Steed from Avengers , he woudl
whack his assailints with an umbrella , and they would go away. It is set in
Feudal Japan , he could use some kung fu. If youv'e seen Crouching Tiger ,
Hidden Dragon , they mostly did use high flying kung fu.

Really the only possible connection to Mortal Kombat that I see would be that
big Raidenesque hat of his (your point four, I'll get to it).

I would guess you've never been on the receiving end of 'petty thugs of a lower
intelligence'. Such an individual doesn't tend to take a beating and go away.
They usually tend to round up a gang of their thug buddies and come back later
looking for revenge.

The Wanderer ain't no Adam West, Patrick Macnee, or Chow Yun Fat. It's a genre
piece, and while I haven't yet seen the rest of the script, I would wager it'll
have just as much bleedin' as the first instalment.. so forewarned is forearmed
I guess.

4.)The (hat?) What's up with that? It looks a little large for his head.
If youv'e seen some of the new Ninja sets they have smaller versions of that
, maybe it would look mroe realistic if gave him a hat or whatever it is in
a smaller size.

I have several of the Ninja sets, and they do use 2x2 radar dishes as hats in
some of them. I tried one on him, and it didn't carry the same kind of
foreboding shadowy-ness that I was looking for when casting. I too thought the
4x4 was a bit big, but it also cast a pretty good shadow over his face - good,
I thought, for dramatic shots. Sadly they don't make a 3x3 radar dish (that I
know of or own), that probably would've been a nice compromise.

(on the other hand, the hat bugs you while the minifigs' inherent stockiness
and lack of knees doesn't?? :^)

The rest of the elements are exceptional , the building , picture quality
and fig designs ( except for the hat..which is a small complaint)

Thankya.

Now, that wasn't quite so painful, was it? Just took a few more minutes and a
bit of thought. (And in the context of the gargantuan chastisement you received
at the hands of your fellow CW-ers, maybe the swallowing of some ego...)
Thanks for your effort this time around. If you want an objective crit when you
get your Western done, you just let me know.

Cheers,
KMaynes