 Castle / 10119
Re: Factions (and violence)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 17:04:32 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.castle, Kevin Knoot writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jason Reese writes:

In case it hasn't been thrown out, how would the Sopwith Camel play into the
Lego non-implicit violence scheme?

Jason

Especially since it has a pair of machine guns on it.

Give it another 25 years or so to remove the last generations with direct
contact to WW2, and I won't be surprised to see a Model Team Tiger tank.

As far as "war toys" go, I'm surprised we haven't seen a Monitor or Merrimac
from the Civil War yet.  Wasn't there a USS Constitution - the Revolutionary
warship?  And the Armada ships and Soldiers?  Same with the Wild West
soldiers.  Explicitly violent w/guns war toys.  Just give them more time to
remove the stigma WW2 still (rightfully) has, and then you see your Spitfire.

Kevin

You could well be right - I think a lot of it is the proximity of the item
in question to people who actually suffered from it.  The propeller driven
biplane isn't viewed as much of a threat anymore.  The Spitfire may go the
same route (but at this rate, not in my lifetime).  Tanks, on the other
hand, have become more sophisticated and powerful, but the basic format is
the same.

   Oh, I don't know, ask the boll weevil if it thinks a biplane is a
   threat, especially when dispensing pesticide...but yeah, the point
   is valid.

   ...and the basic format of the tank isn't the format it started with.
   Look at "Mother" and "Little Willie" to see what permutations it went
   through before [1] they settled on the Cheesebox on a Tracked Raft [2].

But the real reason for the reply: The USS Constitution wasn't around in the
Revolutionary War.  It made its name during the War of 1812.  :-)

   Well, its name as we think of it now, but its first combat actions
   were against French warships during the "undeclared" war of 1799-1800.
   Those Humphreys frigates were (are) mighty nifty!

   But at any rate, the kit was 398, USS Constellation, not the USS
   Constitution.  It's worth noting that the frigate USS Constellation
   does *not* exist (it was broken up in the 1850s)--the Constellation
   that's afloat today is a sloop of 20-some guns that dates from a
   later period.

   best

   LFB

   [1] The Renault FT of 1917 was the first of the "modern" pattern,
       but it was not considered standard until the mid-1920s.

   [2] Which is, of course, a modification of the derisive description
       first given to USS Monitor in 1862.

   XFUT -> .general