 General / 32058
Re: Factions (and violence)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 19:27:21 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

But the real reason for the reply: The USS Constitution wasn't around in the
Revolutionary War.  It made its name during the War of 1812.  :-)

  Well, its name as we think of it now, but its first combat actions
  were against French warships during the "undeclared" war of 1799-1800.
  Those Humphreys frigates were (are) mighty nifty!

  But at any rate, the kit was 398, USS Constellation, not the USS
  Constitution.  It's worth noting that the frigate USS Constellation
  does *not* exist (it was broken up in the 1850s)--the Constellation
  that's afloat today is a sloop of 20-some guns that dates from a
  later period.

Or so you and Howard I. Chapelle claim ;)

The real question is whether a 398 Constellation, restored by LEGO Direct and
offered as kit 10004, sould be named U.S.S. Constellation.

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu