 General / 32059
Re: Anybody want to invest in my idea?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 21:43:09 GMT

In lugnet.general, William R. Ward writes:
"Brian H. Nielsen" <70401.2635@compuserve.com> writes:
I designed and built a piece sorter out of LEGO.  It's the ore processor in
my Copernicus City moonbase.  If you go to:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/brian_h_nielsen/moonbase/moonbase.htm

and go down to the bottom there's a link to an .MPG showing it in action.
It sorts 1x1 round plates from 1x1 round bricks.

That is too cool!  How the heck does it work?  Can we see a DAT file?

--Bill.

   It's basically a sieve.  When the parts are dropped in the top they
travel down a 2 stud wide chute.  The floor of the chute is made by
having long antennae piece held at an angle by a 1x2 hinge topped with a
1x2 plate with center stud.  The 1x1 round plates are able to drop
between the antennae piece and the wall of the chute, whereas the 1x1
round bricks are not.  There are no moving parts.

   Two of theses sieves are traversed in series reducing the percentage
of 1x1 plates that do not fall through at least one.

   The 2 sieves are physically aligned vertically, with side chutes
underneath each funneling the 1x1 round plates that fall through the
sieves to one output bin, and any parts that do not fall through the
sieves into the other output bin.

   The major challenge during construction was to keep the parts moving
fast enough to reduce jams yet slow enough to allow the sieves time to
function.  The angle that the antennae are at is critical.

   Sorry, but I've never done DAT files.

Brian