 General / 31984
Re: Anybody want to invest in my idea?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:08:18 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bram Lambrecht writes:
Adrian Drake <tremor@apk.net> writes:
Here's the concept.   Take a warehouse and install a sorting machine • there,
one that can sort by weight, size, and color.  Match it with a piece
database and fuzzy matching software.  What you end up with is this:  You
dump a bunch of pieces into the hopper.  The machine then sorts each
individual piece out, counts it, individually bags it, and labels each bag
with the count and parts database ref number.  All you'd do is ship your
container of loose lego (we would even process unopened sets for you) and
we'd send you a box of sorted, labelled lego bags.

What, no disassembly of partially assembled chunks of brick?  So have you
started designing the machine yet? :)  Will weight and size be sufficient to
sort the parts?  I think designing a sorting machine for Eric Harshbarger
(or for your own sculptural endeavors) would be easier than designing a
sorter for the general LEGO (ab)user.  Otherwise, the sheer amount of bins
for different parts would be overwhelming.
--Bram

What the 6000 different elements would be too much?  Yeah, you're probably
right.  Once I get the investment capital, then I'll start worrying about
the details :)

Adrian