 Events / 262
  How about a Brickfest West?

Well, I've been looking at the pics of Friday's Brickfest activities on Brickshelf, and checking out the webcams, and I'm jealous! I wanna go too! How about a Brickfest Northwest? Anyone in Seattle up for organising something like this? I don't (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jul-01, to lugnet.events, lugnet.general, lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.org.us.sealug, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.van, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.vic, lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea, lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.loc.ca.bc, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) <snip> I think this sounds like a darn fine idea. Can anyone involved with Brickfest either post some pointers, or just email me with your thoughts and what kinds of efforts are involved? ~Grand Admiral Muffin Head (23 years ago, 14-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

I think you should have posted to the California groups too ;-) I'd be interested in traveling up to WA for a large meeting. Then again, it might make better sense to hold it down in Carlsbad ;-) (...) -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home ***(URL) (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) I am *so* there. Anything I can feasably drive to gets my vote, and Seattle is a feasable drive from Edmonton. (at least, compared to D.C.!) James "has a different idea of reasonable drive than most" Brown (23 years ago, 14-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) I really wish that someone could organize something in a more central location. A place where people from a very large area would be able to make the drive if they wanted to attend. Being in Colorado, I am partial to a location like Denver, (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

Hey all, I have been kicking this idea around myself, especially since the mech builders who didn't make it to BrickFest were so jazzed about attending BrickFest next year. I even solicited a few e-mail responses about it. Here are some of my ideas: (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) <snip> (...) a mix between clever and silly, but a good idea. (...) True, but Legoland is so nice at night with all of miniland lit up, so different than during the day (see below) (...) Carlsbad makes the most sense, I mean Legoland IS there, (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jul-01, to lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.lugola)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) This will probably have to be the case. I suppose we will have to create a Brickfest Northwest for those of us who are unable to go all the way to Southern California. I had a lot of fun going to LLC in April, but it's much too far to drive, (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Yeah...that's kinda' what I figured. Two events COULD be held concurrently...that MIGHT be cool (or could hurt either ones attendance..I dunno'...) More thoughts: -I see this as an event sponsored by more than one LUG, encompassing the entire (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Mmmmm - Rachael and I have been toying with the idea of a California vacation later this year. A trip to Legoland seemed like a sure thing before, but if there were a Brickfest to attend it would definitely be a sure thing. Been too busy (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Everyone is always plenty busy at the end of the year. I say aim for January, so that everyone has time to open their new LEGO before coming. (...) Carlsbad seems kind of backwards- after all, there is a big Lego event there every day. What's (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jul-01, to lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.lugola)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Clever/cutesy ;) (...) January - *after* holiday stress is over - and then also six months before/after Brickfest (...) My smart-mouth suggestion for this post is coming now - Hold "BricksWest" in DAKOTA! We're the geographic center of the (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

Brickfest NW?? YES PLEASE!!! I think you would either need to have it as late as October or wait until January. The November-December time frame is usually pretty full for most people. Also you (we?) would be paying a premium for any type of event (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

"Bryan Beckwith" <bbbeckwi@mail.SPAMB...Kuccs.edu> wrote in message news:GGH7yF.8Bw@lugnet.com... (...) too! (...) make (...) Denver? Potentially having to deal with DIA[1] would probably scare lots of people away! Mike [1] Denver International (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

Matthew Gerber wrote in message ... (...) I think there's room for multiple regional events here. Those who have the resources to fly around the country can attend as many of them as they like, but they would be organised and mostly attended by (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) OK, Kev, but YOU'LL have to arrange and run all of those...I'm pushing it offering to do one on the West Coast! 8?) Matt (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) I think everyone is leaning towards January, or even February...still 6 months from BrickFest DC. I'd be happy with that. (...) Oh sure...you can get in touch with Kevin for that one...he'll be arranging all of the nation/world-wide events! (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) I was kidding! I know no one who actually *wants* to come to North Dakota, but somehow people just don't seem to leave. It's like a trap or something - I know I never intended to stay... now it looks like me and my family are lifers. ~~Tanya (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) I think these are some good points too. I like the idea of opening up Canada for a PACNW Fest. Mark? You seem to be logical point man for this...what do you think? Interested? I'd love to see one done in a different quarter, giving us all 3 (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

To All, I think the regional brickfests would be good, te ones who travel a lot would be able to go to most of them, and some of us who can't can still go to the local ones. i think the various LUGS can charter a bus or perhaps carpool to them or (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

More ideas: -Public day(s): certain day(s)/hours to allow the public access to an 'expo' type atmosphere. Historical sets, MOCs, etc. (more below) -Public sessions for, say, Robotics, LCAD...advertise to local schools (elementary-college) to come (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

Definitely. I'm with my fellow Canucks and prefer a location farther north like Seattle. Driving/flying to southern California is time consuming and costly. And I agree that January would be a better time. ~Adam (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Weather in January in the PNW is usually at its coldest & wettest. That's the down side. But logically, it makes sense. (...) Portland is great - I live in the SF bay area, and it's totally within reach. And Portland is such a great city. Not (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Bill...I'm gonna' pick your brain here. Since you're in SF, and kinda' central to everything discussed, would you be keen on attending two west coast fests, if they were both within acceptable distance and at different times of the year? You (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Canada (...) You're really running with this, aren't you Matt :-) My preference would be for a Pacific Northwest fest (BrickNorthwest?) to be North in Seattle if there's going to be a South in California one as well. People driving from (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Yes. I've begun kicking the idea around on the SEALUG mailing list. If we held it in Seattle, we'd be able to include people from BC, OR, and maybe some of the other Northwest states. We might even attract a couple of folks from the CA area. I (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) 1) Portland is only 3 hours from here, so no problem. I don't hear much from any FOLs in Portland... is anyone there willing to plan something? Cuz if I plan something, I don't have to tell you where it'll be located. :^) 5) I mentioned in an (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Or with the weather issues folks have brought up, would fall or spring be better for PNW, leaving winter for SoCal/Central Coast? If two events evolve out of this (likely, I think), I'd still want to spread them out by quarters to 1) make it (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Yup. :) I'm willing to drive farther than most people I know - and something that's even as far as Seattle or Portland would be OK for me, but farther down the coast, and we're getting into "more time driving than festing" territory. I'd (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) The family and I just went for a walk, and as I thought about this idea, the more the idea grew on me. I love this idea! I think that this is the neatest way to go. Can you imagine? All LUGNET members, all LUG members, all AFOL at BrickFest at (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

Matt, FYI, we're not 8 hours north of Carlsbad ;-) Not if you drive like any typical Californian once you get on I5, that is ;-) I can make it from Sunnyvale to Carlsbad in 6 hours flat, and that's not really rushing it at all. Personally, I'd be (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Which is better for WA - Apr or Oct? Is it still cold in April in Seattle? (...) Hehe - NOT a problem. Carlsbad is very near the Mexico border - there's no such thing as winter down there. -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home ***(URL) Bay (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

I DON'T like the idea. If we're going to have BrickFests all over, it would be nice if we can try to get Brad to show at each one (in person, not vidconf), and that won't happen with them happening at once. Besides, I might want to attend a PacNW (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

In lugnet.events, Matthew Gerber writes: we could try to hold ALL of the events at (...) Sorry - Hate is a strong word, but I think I definitely hate this idea. I much prefer the idea of quarterly events. Are there no Midwesterners interested in (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) I agree it is non-central, but like you said, there is a big Lego event there every day, that is what makes it a great location. I know there were alot of Lugnetters out in Carlsbad not to long ago, but I think there is more than enough locals (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.lugola)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Oh, I understand and all...that's why I was leaning away from the idea in the first place...it was just kinda' growing on me the more I thought about it. It might be smart to do an impromptu poll of those with the means/willigness to travel to (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Just from the opinions being posted here, there seems to be some favor for either having a regional brickfest in the NW from the locals as well as Canadians. Or a Southern Cal brickfest. ( Sorry Tanya!) Instead of starting big we might be (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) April and October are pretty much the same. 60 degrees with a high probability of rain. Summer around here generally starts around July and lasts until mid-September. Either way, we're mostly going to be indoors with the bricks, so I don't (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Heh... (...) True...but nicer weather makes for happier people, especially those who are travelling long distances to attend. It also impacts any activities outside the actual event area. Matt (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) I'm working on this right now. Matt (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  BrickFest Interest Survey (was Re: How about a Brickfest West?)

As promised... (URL) take a minute to go to the above page and take the survey. I'll compile all of the data and post it on the survey return page and here to LUGNET. That way we should all be able to track it and discern our best courses of action (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: BrickFest Interest Survey (was Re: How about a Brickfest West?)

Matthew Gerber wrote in message ... (...) lugnet.events.. .announce, .general, and RTL as a minimum I'd say. 5a should have a "don't care" option 7c should have a link to the LUGNET thread for those who come from elsewhere Kevin ---...--- Craftsman (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Roger that. DIA is pressure differentialed (it sucks). I never thought I'd hate a NEW airport as much as Detroit Metro (which needs to be blown up) but I have to agree. Tearing down Stapleton was the height of arrogance too. Double roger on (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

Preface: I'd love to see more events in more places, if doing so can be done so as not to dilute the wonderful thing that I just got done experiencing. (...) I strongly oppose concurrence. You're guaranteeing that you'll have two small, struggling (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) That's why the primary idea is quarterly events. In fact, between your home area and Florida, I see those as the other primary targets for other events. I suppose you've already given this some thought? (...) Chances are that any other event (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: BrickFest Interest Survey (was Re: How about a Brickfest West?)

(...) Wilco. (...) I was trying to keep 'maybe', 'don't care', 'no opinion' out...I guess to force a decision...some folks tend towards wishy-washy choices when presented with them. I'd rather have someone take the time to think and check more than (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Yeah, whatever. I have flown out of all 4 of the major Front Range airports for 16 years now, and DIA is the nicest one yet, now that it is fully operational. The old one was too close to the city, too close to the Colorado Springs airport, (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.loc.us.co)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) I'd drive as far as Phoenix or Vancouver without a second thought. I love road trips. --Bill. (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Getting free use of a uni may be the thing that ought to be the key driver of date/location, then... as hiring rooms will definitely increase cost substantially. The next Brickfest may have a problem though, it may be on the verge of (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: BrickFest Interest Survey (was Re: How about a Brickfest West?)

(...) Yes. Don't care (if qualified to say "I would do either or") is a viable option. You should also provide a link in your publicity to here: (URL) well as putting it on the front page. I wanted to go see the results but had to submit a blank (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) I haven't read all the posts yet, so someone else may have already mentioned this... Denise floated the idea of Brickfest when WAMALUG had 4 members. Some things to think about in chosing venues: - At least 2 good sized rooms (the trainiacs (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: BrickFest Interest Survey (was Re: How about a Brickfest West?)

(...) Not really, although it isn't necessarily clear that you can pick more than one option. (The question seems phrased towards exclusivity, or so it seems to me.) Would "No strong preference" be better than "don't care"? I suspect a lot of people (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: BrickFest Interest Survey (was Re: How about a Brickfest West?)

(...) You are correct...and while I would prefer a single answer, those who pick multiples aren't necessarily hurting anything...remember, this is in no way rocket science, just an impromptu survey to keep us from having to gloam info out of the (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Just a few thoughts on some of the various ideas being played with-- Having just come from Brickfest, I'd have to say that I'd definitely go again. It was well worth it, even if it did take a combined 20 hours in the car to get there and back. (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) There is no denying that DIA got off to a bad start, which is most likely why people still talk bad about it. Personally, I like DIA. The only problem I've ever had was the tram thing not working once, but it was fixed within about 10 minutes. (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.loc.us.co)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) I'll join you. How far is North Dakota (that is where you are right?) from Colo. Springs? Bryan Beckwith (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) I would second this one. Of course I'm in north Denver, so I'm biased. Maybe Las Vegas as a second choice? Seems like there are always cheap flights going there. Would anyone in Colorado like to plan a get together sometime? The last time I (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

Bad form replying to my on post, but I forgot to add Colorado to the post... -Duand (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.us.co)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

Amusingly, just about everyone wants it held as close to them as possible! Realistically, San Francisco or south of it a bit make the most sense geographically. I suppose one could make the argument that Seattle makes the most sense for playing with (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Being close to the city was what made it *good*. (...) Can't comment on that one, not a local. (...) Roads can be fixed easier than building a whole new airport. (...) Which cost how much to build? Has any one run some numbers on how much fuel (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.loc.us.co)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

In lugnet.events, David Eaton writes: <snip> (...) <snip> I snipped most, left this one sentence, kinda sums up nicely... I am coming around to this viewpoint. Have one fest a year so *everyone* is incented to come. Rotate it around geographically? (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Larry, All, I'm glad that you feel that way. This may make some very unhappy for geographical regions, but to have multiple fests (whatever name you use as the banner) is dilative to the "Brickfest(*)" experience. Even at once a year, I'm not (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Yes, if you're looking to try to make it geographically central. (...) Most people would be inside playing with Lego regardless of the weather anyway. Isn't that what a Brickfest is all about? (...) I have a feeling that if a Brickfest were (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Yeah, or if you're not made of money, perhaps a 'fest on the west coast might be a good thing. I would have really enjoyed being there, but with airline tickets being in the $300.00 range, not counting expenses, the cost was prohibitive. Many (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

Of course everyone wants as close to them as possible. And why should population have anything to do with where it is held? Of course California has a huge population, there are more people crammed into that state then in the entire country of (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

Sorry I sniped everything out, too much to go through. One thing we should definately consider for this event is flexibility. Here in Lugola we have long strived to be as considerate to the distances people have to travel. It may be best to have (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.lugola, lugnet.org.us.baylug, lugnet.org.us.sealug, lugnet.org.us.wafol)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) I agree completely. Just had to give a me2. Both Chris and I think that keeping Brickfest as the name for the D.C. event is a good idea; they "coined" their name. I love the idea of holding other fests, but it would be best to use other names, (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) As someone fairly involved in two other activities which have gatherings, I have to disagree. There are definitely people who will go to as many events as possible. On the other hand, both of these groups do have a weeklong annual convention (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) I agree on that principal, not being geographically close is a huge hindrance to attendance. It will take a lot of planning and saving to make it to any fest, no matter how far away it is. So, for you specifically Mark, and to anyone else who (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) I forgot to say that the consituencies of the other two groups may not be that much larger than the number of AFOLs. Does anyone have a good guess as to the real number of AFOLs? The two activities are caving (which can have an astounding [to (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) I thought I just said that. :-) (...) So it's easier for more people to attend. Why do many so-called "national" conventions cater to the east coast? More people. Personally, I don't know why there has to be a "national" Lego convention, and I (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

In lugnet.events, Duane Hess writes: - snip - (...) Vegas would be great, IMO. Are there many AFOLs there who could help with local planning? (...) I'd be happy to get together sometime, especially if you were willing to come to the Springs. :-) I (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.us.co)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) How do you figure? A Seattle fest would attract people from Oregon, Washington, Canada, and some of the other Northwestern states. Seattle is about 3.5 hours north of Portland, and 2 hours south of Vancouver, BC. It would take me 14 hours just (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

<snip - lots of stuff about Denver International Airport> My point is that DIA is now more functional than Stapledon was for a Colorado resident (now just a former resident). It has better access to points beyond Denver. It relieves some stress on (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.loc.us.co)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) After what I spent at the outlet last year at Brickfest, some people may be shocked to hear the following... (if you're faint of heart, please skip...) Sunday afternoon I commented to Stephen Roberts that in one way it was a shame Brickfest (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

Sounds Like a Great idea! I'd be happy to contribute whatever I could to such an event. I think as far as location goes, Seattle is by far THE best choice. It is fairly central to all of western north america. It isn't much of a drive from anywhere (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) I am assuming that he meant there are alot more people in S. Cal. than the areas you mentioned. Granted way up north wold attract people from more states, but the states up there are alot smaller. And, there are alot of other things to do in (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Oh. My. Gawd. (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

Mark Sandlin wrote in message ... (...) "Brickfest" (...) Seconded. (...) Not only the cost... but if there was a fest in Seattle I'd drive down with a van FULL of MOCs. I'm currently building a city block on a 64 x 128 stud area, and that just (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

in article GGLICz.GA1@lugnet.com, tom wrote: <snip> (...) Really? Maybe it's a silly assumption to make, but I don't see any LUGs in Nevada, Arizona, or Mexico. My point was that we have SEALUG, VicLUG, VLC, NALUG, and PNLTC all within a reasonable (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Regianal Conventions was Re: How about a Brickfest West?

Hello all, I have not posted here very often but I some observations regarding regional and national conventions from a different perspective. I attend gaming conventions regionally and nationally and I am planning to attend Brickfest next year. I (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

I am basically 'me too-ing' what Mark said, but I think he was working on the same point that I was. As for what Bryan said about San Francisco being central, yes it would be, if you were talking about only California. But there are groups in (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) <snip> (...) Ya, I know - but maybe that just means there is nobdy that wants to be the one to organize the club, and maybe you are right. I have no idea. But, I do know of 9 AFOLS in Arizona :) lol (ok, i know that is a sad #) (...) Yes. But (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) But AFOLs do not REQUIRE LUGs. You make it sound like LUGs are a requirement for a Fest. They're not. They're helpful, they increase the chance of attendees, but they're not required. And you shouldn't have mentioned PNLTC with your (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) No, I make it sound like there are a lot of AFOLs in the Pac NW. I was trying to make the point that AFOLs who are enthusiastic enough to form LUGs will be the ones who are enthusiastic enough to come to a 'fest. (...) Never at any point did I (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) "More" implies an amount of people - you note cities, states, and all of Canada (Newfoundlanders seem an unlikely prospect <g>), but avoid population numbers. I'll use Lugnet member numbers (acknowledging that all who read Lugnet and might (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

Bruce Schlickbernd at corsair@schlickbernd.org wrote: <snip> (...) By "some" I assume you mean me. It would be rather silly for me to promote a 'fest in SoCal, wouldn't it? It's starting to look like we'll end up with two West Coast fests. (...) I'm (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) I am merely noting that the Norwesters seem to be the ones vehement about the location being firmly in the Norwest. I am merely saying if the powers that be want to organize a "Brickfest WEST" rather than a strictly Northwestern one, perhaps (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) I tend to agree with Rich in part but disagree in another part. It was great that the WAMALUG folks have started something great. I remember a few of us on rec.toys.lego a few years back suggested a FOL (A missing because of family (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) What "powers that be"? Who might that be? Seems to me like there are some NW people and some LA people, and we each want a 'fest to be local. (...) I think that could have been worded more politely. I haven't called your opinion "crying." (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Disagree. Gary Louie was in the midst of organising it before he sadly and unexpectedly passed away. A number of other people carried the torch and made it happen. I still have my badge from it, it was the largest fest *I* had been to up until (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Tom Stangl suggested SoCal, and he isn't from L.A. I think L.A. is too far south, and I'm from L.A. What I keep seeing (and you keep reinforcing) is that several Northwesterners view this as an us vs. them thing, and I keep trying to say can't (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) on (...) Opps! Either I forgot about the 40 that did attend the opening ceremony or I never heard about it. I remember a guy named Gary, but I had no idea he passed. I really wish I had heard of it, I would have gone. I archived a bunch of (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: Regianal Conventions was Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) One aspect of multiple regional and a single national event would allow is for a competitve structure to some of the gaming and non-gaming aspects. Using BrickWars as an example the regional conventions could have regional competitions in (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Ok, the finger pointing has started. I think I'm done now. Have a nice day. ~Grand Admiral Muffin Head (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Let's see, you point a finger at me claiming that I am championing Los Angeles for selfish reasons (which I pointed out is inaccurate, since I'm not championing Los Angeles or any place in particular) while simultaneously admitting that you (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) It was an evening fest the evening of the first day the park was officially open... held at a condo community hall of someone that has a Carlsbad timeshare and was able to book space... seemed big at the time but it is way small now that we've (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Guys, guys... I think I can speak relatively dispassionately because I'd come to either place or both... both are equally far away for me. Let's not get into who said what to who. I think the question of whether a fest should be held northish, (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

In lugnet.events, Larry Pieniazek writes: <snip> (...) I agree, but I also think that the questions of where/when et al are secondary to someone actually committing to put in the work. If it's a Seattle group that digs in and organizes it, it'll be (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Ok, from my perspective, it REALLY looks like you're championing LA. At any rate, There's been too much finger pointing all over the place. I apologize if I hurt your feelings. <bury> hatchet </bury> ~Grand Admiral Muffin Head (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Checking head for hatchet....no? Whew. Oh alright...it's so hard to stay annoyed with a Muffin Head. Bruce (needing a more innocuous name ...hmmmm.... Baron von Schlickbernd ....uhhhh..... no) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) <snip> First of all, I'd like to make a couple of disclaimers so that there is no ambiguity in *my* opinion, and those in WAMALUG and those who were directly on the "Brickfest" committee. 1) My statements/opinions are my own, and noone elses. (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) I wish I'd known eight months ago about Lugnet - I'd have come to visit you! My best friend is down there, but now, she's moving up to Grand Forks, ND. Looks like CO Springs is about 1000-1200 miles from here - I'm just looking at my son's (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Do you really have THAT low of an opinion of those of us discussing this topic. We're theives now? Come on, Richard. No one has announced 'Brickfest: The West Coast Edition That Is Only Here To Screw WAMALUG Out Of Their Event And Trademark'. (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Whoa! Let's all stay calm. I don't read what Richard said that way at all. Rather I think it was a comment to my comment advocating that they put a TM on it right away... My take is that he's saying he doesn't think that in THIS community (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) <snip> Uhhmmm... poor choice of metaphor on my part. Ok, try this one. Uniformed people calling Lego brick "Legos" or other building brick clones "Lego." I can hear the groans now... sorry. Really. Rich -- Have Fun! C-Ya! Legoman34 ***** (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Hmmmmm, how'bout LEGOPALOOZA!!! Daniel #574 (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

Pro - more people would have a chance to attend if there was a NW and SW Con - some people would only attend one, or neither, if there were both a NW and SW (I personally MIGHT attend both, but it would depend on how much time off I had and the (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Clarifications and an apology (was: Re: How about a Brickfest West?)

I hope that everyone involved in the thread about a possible West Coast 'Brickfest-style' event will read this post. It clarifies my position on a few things that seem to have been skewed by posters to the thread, and is also posted by way of public (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

In lugnet.events, Tom Stangl writes: if there were any conflicts, SW would win out if it (...) Quickie mental calculations place that somewhere around the Lego Store at Disneyland? :-) Bruce (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) <snip> (...) Well, I would be willing to come down on a Saturday or Sunday one weekend. Unfortunately, my weekends are a little limited until late August. Are there any others reading who would like to chime in? -Duane (trimmed it down to just (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.loc.us.co)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) Agree and disagree. You are right, if there were more fests in different areas, many people would be more likely to go local/regional than to go national. Some would still go to a 'national' fest. But I disagree, to the extent that regional (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

(...) YES! Testify my brother! *AMEN* *A-MEN* 8?) Matt (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  Re: How about a Brickfest West?

I don't care where in that span - I have season passes to LLC and 6 Flags, so I'd go to one or the other on the way down or back ;-) (...) -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home ***(URL) Bay Area DSMs (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.events)

  A Colorado Get-Together (Was: Re: How about a Brickfest West?)

(...) I waited two weeks hoping that some other locals would chime in, but so far it doesn't look like anyone is going to. I'm not free until late August either, but I'm hoping we can get some more people involved so maybe we should shoot for (...) (23 years ago, 3-Aug-01, to lugnet.loc.us.co, lugnet.loc.us.co.cos)

  Re: A Colorado Get-Together (Was: Re: How about a Brickfest West?)

(...) September is fine for me... so far. I was hoping that there would be others speaking up as well. I *know* that there more AFOLs (or maybe just FOLs) than just the two of us. (...) I don't mind making the trip to the Springs. It's not too bad (...) (23 years ago, 3-Aug-01, to lugnet.loc.us.co)

  Re: A Colorado Get-Together (Was: Re: How about a Brickfest West?)

(...) I thought I'd posted that I was interested, but maybe I screwed it up. In any case, I'd like to get together, and maybe Duane and I could car-pool down. On the other hand, if we're meeting at Castle Rock, maybe I can bring my wife along, and (...) (23 years ago, 8-Aug-01, to lugnet.loc.us.co)

  Re: A Colorado Get-Together (Was: Re: How about a Brickfest West?)

I'm all for car-pooling, if anyone needs it. I'm up north so I can pick up people as I come through town. As far as a time table, I would recommend September sometime after the holiday weekend. I don't have solid plans on that weekend, but my hunch (...) (23 years ago, 15-Aug-01, to lugnet.loc.us.co)