 Events / 291
Re: How about a Brickfest West?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2001 19:12:11 GMT

In lugnet.events, Matthew Gerber writes:
That does bring up an idea though...

Between PNW, California and DC, we could try to hold ALL of the events at
the same time, with the same themes and materials...I suppose that COULD be
pretty cool, and almost everyone, no matter where they live, would have a
fair to middlin' chance of making a BrickFest at the same time. We could
even hold some remote group sessions (video conferencing anyone? I have
experience setting that up). We'd need to get in touch with Christina and
Stephen when they wrap up in DC to discuss something like this.

The family and I just went for a walk, and as I thought about this idea, the
more the idea grew on me. I love this idea! I think that this is the neatest
way to go. Can you imagine? All LUGNET members, all LUG members, all AFOL at
BrickFest at the same time? No matter where they live...a BrickFest would be
available to them? How cool would that be?

And more Fests across the country(ies) could join in, whenever they wanted
too. In fact, the more, the merrier! The more resources that could be shared
(Ref: the MOC cards I put together for DC...I knew I wouldn't be there, but
I helped out in the best way I could...imagine being able to tap EVERYONE as
a resource for one big, multiple location event)!

Each fest location could be responsible for developing just ONE big event
type: LDraw demo, Cinema, etc., and that event could be shared via
video/web/phone conference/all of the above...no one would have the bother
of developing many individual events, and could concentrate on making their
one big event spectacular!

All registration could be the same price, regardless of location. All
registration could be handled by just one treasurey (with, say, on-line
payment [PayPal] and one centralized address for mail registrations).

We could pick one summer holiday weekend, to maximize the days. The only
drawback is that we'd have to wait a WHOLE year now...but that would give us
time to develop one big, LEGO spectacular!

What do you all think?

Matt