 Events / 290
Re: How about a Brickfest West?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2001 18:51:11 GMT

In lugnet.events, Kevin Wilson writes:
Matthew Gerber wrote:
I think these are some good points too. I like the idea of opening up • Canada
for a PACNW Fest. Mark? You seem to be logical point man for this...what do
you think? Interested? I'd love to see one done in a different quarter,
giving us all 3 events, within three months...does that follow?
BricksWest-Carlsbad:Jan/Feb
PACNW Fest-Portland(?):Apr(?)
BrickFest-Wash. DC:July
Maybe something mid-US(?):Oct(?)

You're really running with this, aren't you Matt :-)

My preference would be for a Pacific Northwest fest (BrickNorthwest?) to be
North in Seattle if there's going to be a South in California one as well.
People driving from further away in Canada than Vancouver (like the 2 people
in Alberta we've already heard from) will thank us :-).

Yup. :)  I'm willing to drive farther than most people I know - and
something that's even as far as Seattle or Portland would be OK for me, but
farther down the coast, and we're getting into "more time driving than
festing" territory.  I'd prefer to not need more than 2 days of holidays to
drive down to a fest.

I don't think anyone needs to worry much about the weather of these events,
since we'll mostly be indoors poring over our Lego. The exception would be
Carlsbad for visiting Legoland... might make your date better later in the
year, Matthew?

Yah.  From an unbiased point of view, I'd say January-February timeframe
would be good, but from a selfish POV, do it later in the year; this
january, I'll not be travelling. (A two month old baby will be around by then.)

I like a lot of your ideas for events to include. If we could put this over
a long weekend it would give us even more time to wallow in Lego (though
finding a location would be more difficult).

Long weekends are good, although I don't think there are any common holidays
at that time of year.  The first long weekend I can think of is in May.

Just some thoughts,

James